Mentor Required

• 5 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
Mentor Required
« on: September 19, 2013, 16:35 »
I've been lurking on here for about 3 years now. I had chickens about 10 years ago but I basically inherited a coop and some land from a neighbour and it was my pre internet/forum days when I clearly didn't know as much as I could have after reading this forum.

Having moved house, and finally finished 'the house', I'm planning on getting some chickens again, but not until next year because with winter coming it doesn't seem the right time now, and I'm known for planning things.

I've read this forum for a long time, and I'm at the stage of looking at different coops, where to site it, feeders etc etc. I was wondering if there was anyone near to me that would be able/willing to act as a friend/mentor with hands on advice so to speak? I'm on the border of East/South Yorkshire half way between Doncaster/Goole. I've always found 'seeing is better than reading' and I tend to retain information more is shown if that makes sense  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Mentor Required
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 18:13 »
If you don't find someone straightway I'd really recommend one of those Omlet courses.  It was £20 and so interesting.  There are other hen mad people in the group you could stay in touch with and they don't try to sell you an Omlet product -its just really helpful and you learn a lot.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 19:20 »
Thankyou. I haven't heard of those but I'll google it. Thought it was worth asking though a long shot, jI just want to get it right and you can't beat experience.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:12 »
I had never kept chickens before and had been interested for a long time but didn't know where to start - over the past few months I've been lurking on a number of chicken forums and reading up as much as possible from other people's experiences.  I had contemplated on taking a course (but didn't) and surprisingly there are loads reasonably locally which can also advise you on where local stockists and vets are available should you need one, and the advantage is that you should meet people who are in your area.  Perhaps try googling for chicken courses near you as well

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47 »
Thanks, I've been searching around and come up with a few ideas of courses now  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03 »
Great - lets us know how it went.  Mine was for 2 hours and went on for 4!  We got tea and muffins(!) and we didn't notice the time.  It was so great to be there and see all those different and beautiful hens wandering around! She could also advise on a good local chicken vet.

question
new in sheffield area need a mentor

Started by cherry on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 20:04
by cherry
xx
New cock required

Started by martinscottage on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 19:16
by FCG
wink
First time help required

Started by Landys2 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
xx
nesting box help required !

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 19:25
by cock o the north

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.