• 13 Replies

m1ckz

strawbs
« on: July 14, 2012, 17:25 »
is it right you can now cut back the strawberry plants,an leave for the winter

Trillium

Re: strawbs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 21:01 »
Yes, you cut off the old leaves (this year's) and leave the young crown leaves just coming out. It's also time to manure/fertilize them as well so they're ready for next year. Also limit how many runners each plant puts out as this also affects next year's cropping.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44 »
ok thanks,,do spread the manure all over , like cover them with a few inches

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 13:17 »
You never want any manure or fertilizers right on the plants as it burns the leaves. Nor do you need several inches  :D Just a good handful equivalent all around the plant is fine. You can also add some bone meal at this time.

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 13:49 »
i was thinking more of horse muck,,but ty

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 15:48 »
As long as the manure (whatever type) is well-rotted, just put it around the plants but be careful not to get it near the stems.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Jamie_D

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 13:00 »
Hello.

This is not directly relevant to what has been discussed above, but is strawberry related nonetheless.

We have had our first two strawberries from our raised plot, however the strawberries are resting on the soil. We have been advised putting straw down and looking through past threads on here, people have talked about 'mulching'.

I'm learning as i go along, but assume that 'to mulch' is to put something underneath your produce, to act like a barrier / soft mattress for it to rest on.

Is this correct, or am i inventing my own meaning?

Our plot is very compact, so how much straw would need putting down? We have naestercions growing one side (i'm not a flower person at all, so this will be spelt wrong), rocket growing the otherside, the plot wall behind and small beetroots in front.

Any advise / suggestions?

Thanks,

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 13:39 »
Love your spelling of "nasturtiums" - prefer it to the proper one!  :lol: Putting straw under strawberries is to lift them up towards the sun for ripening and to help prevent slug and snail damage. Mulching is putting a decent layer of manure, compost, bark chippings, etc, onto the top of soil to conserve moisture and prevent weeds germinating. Straw will let light through unlessit is put on very thickly and will take a while to rot down, so is perhaps not really a proper mulch.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 13:59 »
To follow goosegirl's answer, strawberries got their name from sitting on straw, which as you say, is to cushion the very delicate berries from the soil and avoid mold problems. In itself, it provides a good barrier for the berries, but if you're looking for a good moisture holder, straw isn't necessarily the best choice unless it was applied thickly early in the season and had several wettings to mat it down.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 18:17 »
The slightly fluffy nature of uncompressed straw helps air circulation around the berries, to avoid grey mould
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 18:21 »
Barley straw is best if you can get it.. then followed by wheat, oats then normal hay...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gavinjconway

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 18:36 »
Today I've trimmed mine and potted some runners for a neighbour.. I have 121 rather back# breaking job..

Jamie_D

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 13:11 »
Thanks.

As i say, i'm not a flower-person. My girlfriend Nicola is more clued up on them. The dying heads she takes off on the flowers are what i perceive as looking most healthy. That i even remember what one of the two flowers is called is progress for me!

How's about a general sponge? I can get my hands on some straw in a few days, but am just thinking more practically in the meantime.

Presumably the second plant (that i can't remember the name of) overhanging where some of the strawberries are growing is not going to help them ripen much? I know the two we have had so far were in possibly in the area that has the most sunlight through the day.

I might start growing 'spongeberries'!

gavinjconway

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 13:47 »
They can last a few days without any straw... dont get too worried..

xx
Strawbs - should I?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 21:11
by Erfurt
xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 00:08
by Dan78
angry
Strawbs .. What now !

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2014, 20:03
by gobs
xx
strawbs

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 19:37
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.