Does too much apple make hens tipsy?

• 6 Replies

AshPriddle

Does too much apple make hens tipsy?
« on: November 17, 2010, 00:42 »
I live in Morayshire, and we've had a bumper apple crop.  One of my girls (an Isa Warren called Pearl) seems to be over-indulging in apples, I'm concerned that they may ferment in her crop and we'll end up with a "Tipsy Chicken"!  She does tend to waddle about a bit and her poos have been quite watery, although at this time of year we can discount overheating.  We have had to clean her tail department, but she still hasn't perked up. I also suspect that she hasn't laid an egg for ages.  She's not too keen on corn, but tucks into mashed potatoes, bread, pasta or rice.  
The other girls, Dorcas, Minnie and Ruby are all fine and we get 3 lovely eggs each day.  The girls are all Isa Warrens and are now about 9-10 months old.  Hopefully you can give some advice.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:55 by Aunt Sally »

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Does too much apple make hens tipsy?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:54 »
It probably doesn't help too much but I've heard you can often stumble across wild deer which appear to be drunk because they eat the fruit which has dropped to the ground and after a period of time has started to ferment. I presume the same can happen to any animal including chickens.
As for the health effects (if any) I don't know, although my birds get fruit it is only the odd apple every so often.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 18:45 »
well, I once heard of a horse that ate too many fermenting apples, got a bit 'tipsy' and fell in the pond!  He was totally fine, just a bit hung over the next day  ::)  I dont think it will harm them, just maybe limit her as much as possible.  I know how difficult that can be though.  Chickens are very crafty little animals  ::)

CC x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 20:02 »
A neighbour gave mine a cooking apple a few weeks ago.  They had the scoots so have asked her not give them one again.  :nowink:
Jinty

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14 »
Apples are very acidic and so a lot of apple would not suit. I feed apple to my hens and horses but severely restrict how much even though I have loads. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 20:31 »
Our neighbour put down her bag of apples whilst she had a chat. The little monsters were having a feast before she realised what was happening! I spend half my life apologising for their behaviour.
As to your question, fermentation depends on the natural yeasts present on the fruit (or eaten at the same time). These take time to start working - although some may be fermenting already, but this won't apply to clean good apples. In a large animal the food stays in the stomach(s) then gut for a long time giving a chance for fermentation and adsorption, whereas the residence time in hens is only a few hours. So, unlucky chooks are not likely to have a good night out on apples.  Apple cider vinegar is often recommended here and AFAIK the problem with sour crop comes when the acidity in the crop is low, so I wouldn't be too worried. Animals and insects will instinctively change foods to get a balanced diet so if they've plenty of other food they'll sort themselves out. In the wild they have to as most foods are seasonal. I'd suggest that the diarrhoea from eating fruit is mainly due to the high sugar content, helped by the high fibre levels. The potential problem here is the adsorption of nutrients such as calcium by the fibre, but I don't know to what extent this could be realised. They probably naturally make up for it by eating more grit.
I give ours plenty of apples which they seem to enjoy eating when they want to, but insist on having breakfast, lunch and dinner of pellets and an afternoon treat of corn. Go on let them enjoy.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 13:02 »
my horses have about 15 fully mature apple trees to feed off,there are only two who have access to the apples,id hate to think how many trees would be required to produce enough apples for them to get tipsy.My 9 chickens have access to the same apples and plums when they were around,i often crush an apple under foot for the chickens,they dont seem to fussed about apples,plums on the other hand are a favourite.

xx
Why do hens make so much noise when they lay?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 11:41
by 8doubles
xx
Do light sussex hens make good broodies and mothers?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 13:43
by ness
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 35 queries.