Orphan chicken (kind of!)

• 14 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Orphan chicken (kind of!)
« on: April 04, 2011, 14:17 »
We've been asked to take in a chicken because she is now living alone after the chicken she lived with died last night (a fence fell on her last week because of the wind and she hasn't been well since)
We've said we'll have her as long as we can have the coop she already lives in for a few weeks, the coop has an integrated run so is it okay to put that inside our electric fence, so that the other chickens can see her but not get to her?
How long should we keep her in there for before she can come out with the others? and how should we go about introducing them?
She's been wormed and everything by her current owner, but is there anything else I need to take into consideration?
Thank you =D

(Also she needs a name as she's never been named, all my chickens and quail have designer names but i'm running low so any suggestions appreciated!!!!) x
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Orphan chicken (kind of!)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 14:27 »
the coop with an integrated run will be ideal to allow her to become accustomed to her new friends and they to her. Put her feeder and drinker next to the wire and theirs the otherside so they are eating side by side. Or if you are sure there is no health problems you could just put her in with the others overnight and have several feeders, drinkers and hiding places out the next day. Make sure you let them out early and be on hand with the purple spray incase things get too rough - keep the original coop though incase there are major issues.
By designer names do you mean just posh trendy names such as Porsche or clothes/shoe designers such as Jimmy Choo, Lulu Guinness etc
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 14:30 »
Thank you =D

As for the names anything at all with class =p We have names ranging from makeup to kitchen accessories at the moment! x

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 14:56 »
I love the theme for your girls names, here's a few suggestions
Coco
Fendi
Rolex
Chloe
Louis Vuitton
McQueen
Burberry
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 14:57 »
Oh yes if I had looked at your signature I would have seen the type of name you were after. The only clothes dsigner names I can think of (that aren't jeans or motorbike makes) are 40's/50's and one of the most famous who made very classy dresses was (Alfred) Shaheen - think 40's 50's glamour wiggle dresses  :D

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 15:06 »
Ooo thank you for the suggestions!
I do love the name coco but that was the name of my guinea that just died =(
I like Rolex too!
I'm also contemplating Quant (asin Mary Quant) or Mercedes! x

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 15:06 »
also love fendi!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 15:07 »
love Shaheen too actually!!! Maybe I just need to get 5 more chickens to use all these names  ::)

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 15:16 »
Just phoned my mum to tell her the name options, and she has selected *drum roll* Fendi!
So our new addition is a light sussex named fendi, and she shall be moving in tonight! x

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19 »
Fendi is here, she's in her coop and run, but it's not very big and she was pacing so we took pity on her and let her out for a little wander, two of my chickens just ignored her completely and even happily shared their treats with her, but prada who is the smallest and the one that's scared of everything went for Fendi. We picked Prada up and held her whilst fendi had a wander then put her down again once fendi had returned to her coop, if we keep letting them out together for a bit each day will they slowly get used to each other? Or do I just need to accept that prada is going to attack fendi until they've sorted themselves out?
Fendi just looks completely petrified all the time when Prada is near =(
Also Fendi paces up and down the electric fence and sticks her head through every so often, is there anyway I can try and stop this? I don't want her to get her head stuck! x

daisy1990

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 20:31 »
as my daughter (Mulberry) has now left me with 8 chickens, 6 quail, two fish, four rabbits a guinea pig and two dogs, I thought i would give an update!  I let Fendi out of her run as she was crowing very loudly.  She ran around the electric fence twice (sticking her head through constantly-it was switched off) I distracted the three other hens with corn, but Prada then flew at her before I could intervene and pulled out two feathers.  I am going on holiday at 4am. so hope that when I get home my daughter has them all sorted! (the four new chicks can go out soon so that will be the next challenge!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 20:37 »
Oh yes if I had looked at your signature I would have seen the type of name you were after. The only clothes dsigner names I can think of (that aren't jeans or motorbike makes) are 40's/50's and one of the most famous who made very classy dresses was (Alfred) Shaheen - think 40's 50's glamour wiggle dresses  :D

Surely Biba....
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 20:43 »
but Biba was 60's onwards and I love the 40's and 50's.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:38 »
Slightly worried that my mum can't count the dogs... i'm pretty sure there are three in the house.
Chicks have moved to the shed where it's cooler for them, and Fendi has been let out again, it's still just Prada attacking!
So my new plan is tonight or tomorrow night Fendi is being put in the others coop and i'm hoping for the best in the morning!!

daisy1990

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 19:45 »
sorry Mulberry deffo three dogs when I left them- now in Portugal with no animals to clean- bliss!

xx
Orphan duckling

Started by Squiggly on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 08:58
by Sassy
xx
Introducing orphan chicks to the flock

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 19:27
by jo40
xx
What kind of hen

Started by Nancy legbar on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 22:55
by Nancy legbar
xx
What kind of mite is this?

Started by Pinti on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 08:36
by alancane

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.