Plant potatoes now?

• 4 Replies

Alan lad

Plant potatoes now?
« on: May 26, 2012, 07:18 »
Due to illness I missed planting any potatoes, given the amount of time lost to the very wet and cold weather where I live is it too late to plant some potatoes?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant potatoes now?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:23 »
Unless you're in a very remote location, get them in pronto  :D

By the way, it's often useful to know whereabouts people are in order to answer questions.  Could you add your location to your forum profile please?  Just click your username to edit your profile.

I'll also move this thread over to GYO where the veggie stuff is found  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

teabelly

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 14:44 »
I hope it's still ok as I have some (well chitted) potatoes that I'm planning to plant tonight/tomorrow

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 15:38 »
I was advised by one of the old boys on my site to rub off all but two shoots when there are more, and particularly if the tubers are going in late (definitely not too late IMHO - the growing season's only just started and there's loads of it left yet, blimey, the weeds have only just got round to showing themselves, always a good indicator of things to come!  And I'm in the sunny South, so no contradictory geographical comparisons, please!

The reason for rubbing off excess shoots is that they have expended energy in the tuber and thereby weakened it by extending themselves, so if we want the tuber to go on to greatness then it's better to ration the remaining reserve held in the tuber for a couple of strong shoots to kick start it all.

Seemed to make sense to me when it was explained to me, so I hope it does to you, but always willing, nay eager, to hear another point of view....  :)

Good luck

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 15:47 »
I believe the usual concensus is that fewer chits result in fewer, but larger potatoes, more chits the opposite, which is at least logical if nothing else! 

I plant mine "as they come" because as often as not even after 3 months of chitting only some of the eyes have chitted to any great extent, and it certainly wouldn't make sense to rub them off and plant with the remaining tiny chits.

With sandy soil and PCN seemingly well established on my patch I'm just grateful for whatever I get!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
potatoes to buy and plant now?

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:53
by greenthing
xx
What can I plant after potatoes ......

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 19:57
by Yorkie
xx
How many potatoes to plant?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 16:06
by Sharonx
xx
Potatoes - when to plant

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 11:46
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.