Allium Leaf Miner -Mesh size?

• 4 Replies

snowdrops

Allium Leaf Miner -Mesh size?
« on: January 21, 2021, 21:34 »
As has been covered by many previous threads the offical site line would be that it isn't authorised for use in this way.

I reckon it would kill pretty much everything, pests/diseases and predators and beneficial organisms, leaving a blank canvas for either wonderful plant growth or pest reinvasion...

pest species usually breed much faster than their predators so can boom and decimate crops before their predators get a chance to respond...

This is my first reply as only just registered for the site. I did use some diluted Jeyes Fluid on my bed that was used for Leeks last year, due to having found Onion white rot previously and depending on sources it means not growing alliums for between 8 - 40 years. I have read about diluted garlic/onion water and am yet to experiment with that method. The point of this post is to say no white rot on leeks but they were all felled by Alium Leaf Miner for at least 3rd year on the trot!  I am trying to find a post with a recommended mesh to use in 2021.

I think we enviromesh to prevent attack by allium leaf miner
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ConfusedOfEastCheam

Re: Allium Leaf Miner -Mesh size?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 23:55 »
As has been covered by many previous threads the offical site line would be that it isn't authorised for use in this way.

I reckon it would kill pretty much everything, pests/diseases and predators and beneficial organisms, leaving a blank canvas for either wonderful plant growth or pest reinvasion...

pest species usually breed much faster than their predators so can boom and decimate crops before their predators get a chance to respond...

This is my first reply as only just registered for the site. I did use some diluted Jeyes Fluid on my bed that was used for Leeks last year, due to having found Onion white rot previously and depending on sources it means not growing alliums for between 8 - 40 years. I have read about diluted garlic/onion water and am yet to experiment with that method. The point of this post is to say no white rot on leeks but they were all felled by Alium Leaf Miner for at least 3rd year on the trot!  I am trying to find a post with a recommended mesh to use in 2021.

I think we enviromesh to prevent attack by allium leaf miner

I have been looking at various sites for a few days - what grade of mesh? The Harrod one is normal and ultra fine (they state the 1.35mm stops "most pests" and the ultrafine is "a grade finer" but neither mention alium leaf miner. Another site shows an "enviromesh" that lists Leek moth but not specifically Leaf miner.  Then there is the subject of what size.   My beds are 4' x 10' so if I want hoops to support the mesh (and be a deterrant against foxes rolling on it, how much extra width do I need to allow for?  I know that making mistakes is part of normal growing pattern, but if I am going to invest in good quality kit, I need to take everything into consideration.  Any ideas or experience you can share?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 08:49 »
the size of your covers will depend on the height of your hoops, so a bit difficult to advise without that info.

wrt mesh size
cover susceptible plants with horticultural fleece or ultra fine nets

https://e-voice.org.uk/pheaseyallotment/assets/documents/allium-leaf-miner

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:55 »
On the gardening naturally website that I’ve used in the past there’s a calculator for length,width & height that might be helpful. I used that & then bought my latest lot from our garden clubs store.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 15:07 »
The allium leaf miner adult can squeeze through a 0.8mm mesh so you'll need something like Enviromesh Ultrafine with 0.6mm mesh

xx
Allium Leaf Miner.

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:47
by JayG
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 01:08
by vron
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband
xx
Allium leaf miner !

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2022, 22:39
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 41 queries.