Advice needed

• 7 Replies

Karhog

Advice needed
« on: February 26, 2012, 17:42 »
Hello Everyone- You may not remember but my chook Bertha has been poorly and for the last three weeks I have been 'nursing' her back to health. (fingers crossed)
She has completed a course of Anti Biotics and I have also been treating for Cocci as a precaution (3 days left to go)
Her appetite is gradually picking up but I am still going out of my way to find stuff that she will eat. She is still very underweight. Her poohs have improved massivley from what they were but I have noticed she seems to be pooping out lashes every now and then.
I have also noticed her comb has begun to flop a bit to one side though it's still a lovely red colour- eyes are bright.
Do you think this is just a by product of her having not been well?  She seems happy to scratch and peck around the garden with her friends.

helens-hens

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 13:55 »
I am no expert but I would say that by itself, the floppy comb, providing it is still red shouldn't be a problem though I would keep an eye on her.

Not so sure though about pooping lashes every now and again. I thought that once they have produced 1 lash then that is effectively the end of the hen's laying life.

Is she still laying? Also are you sure they are lashes?
Helen

Karhog

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 15:15 »
Hi- thanks for replying.
They look like lashes but I can't be certain. She definately doesn't seem to be laying at the moment- Last laid pre moult about 2-3 months ago. Unsure if she ever will again as she is an ex bat.
Have thought maybe egg peritonitis but what other symptoms would their be?
I always thought they walked more 'upright' with this and had a swollen abdomen?

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 15:31 »
Apparently 1 of the main signs of egg peritonitis is that the hen appears to waddle when walking (like a duck), and they can have a swollen abdomen as well.

Has she been to a vets (you mention that she has had a course of ABs)?

Karhog

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 15:53 »
Hi- yes I took her to the vets just over two weeks ago when she seemed really bad (wasn't eating at all, very thirsty and really bad mucousy white diaorreah.)
He only had limited knowledge but did suggest it may be egg peritonitis- He pretty much wrote her off at the time.
I wasn't convinved so thought I'd give the A/B a go in case and she has really improved no end. She does remain slower than the other two and I do have to tempt her with food she likes.
If she did have egg peritonitis would she have improved at all?

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 16:23 »
Hi Karhog, I am not sure, I am lucky in that I haven't had to deal with egg peritonitis so far. I think the mortality rate would be very high. Apparently the symptoms can be similar to egg binding. Have you or your vet checked to see if there is anything stuck inside her?

Re the lashes, what do they look like e.g. colour & size?

I found the following article on egg peritonitis, which may help:

http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

Karhog

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 16:57 »
Thanks for the link Helen.The vet did check and couldn't feel an egg at the time. The 'lashes' vary in size from a peanut to a longer one the size and width of a small finger. They are a kind of skin colour and are rubbery (I have poked them about but not cut into any)
From what I have seen there have been about 3 -4 in the last couple of weeks.
I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens- whilst she is happy with a good quality of life I will pander to her- If and when that changes I will have to reassess.
Thanks for your help.

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 19:56 »
Will keep fingers crossed for you and Bertha

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Advice needed please

Started by piglet 30 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 12:47
by joyfull
xx
help advice needed

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 14:27
by gem
xx
HELP ADVICE NEEDED

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 09:07
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 35 queries.