advice needed

• 8 Replies

cols chicks

advice needed
« on: August 22, 2009, 17:43 »
Hi all, this is my 1st visit to this site and think its full of lots of informative advice, my question is ' i live in a terraced house with only a back yard and was wondering if i could keep 2 or 3 chickens in a coop with only having a concrete floor. I do not want to put the chicks thro any stress and if this idea is not really practical then ill just forget the idea, hope i get some replies, thanks col.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 20:01 »
Well I believe they kept hens in the same houses as your during the war.
Best to get 3, are you thinking of a coup and run combined ? soil or garden centre bark mulch in the run for them to scratch in and help the poo not stick to the concrete. Perhaps the pool liner on top of the concrete might help then top that with soil or bark.
Provide them with fresh food and water daily greens and a chat = happy hens.
do have a chat to your neighbroughs ask if they mind you wont regret haveing chucks.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 21:05 »
if you can, try to get chipped wood from a tree surgeon which is a bit harder than bark, and will not harbour mould quite so easily.
i started on bark, but have changed over after reading several different sites.
make sure you do lots of reading before hand, but enjoy your chickens when you have them

martyn

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 21:15 »
hi there and welcome to the site , you probably can keep them there without any probs but make sure you do check with all neighbours concerned if need be u can bribe them with the odd eggs from time to time sems to work a treat , also make sure what ever u build wehter its a coop an run it has to be very secure to protect agaisnt attacks from foxes etc .

i would suggest u board of part of the garden an fill it will soil with added manure then wood bark { ask tree surgeons they can be cheaper } then that way your girls should get the best of both worlds . if your at all stuck theres always plenty of peeps on here willing to help an offer advice . :D :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 21:21 »
Good Luck, just make sure that you are not prohibited from keeping poultry in you house deeds. Evenif you are the DEFRA definitionof poultry excludes pet chickens.
Hope you enjoy your girls.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 21:22 »
 . Have you thought about bantams , they would probably be better for a small back yard close to the house.

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39 »
bantams are great, we have buff rocks, well 1 left but they have been great. plenty of choice, lots of people on this site have web sites with bantams. one will be along to help you.

martyn

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03 »
For the coop itself, can you put it on short legs? A board floor for the chooks will be warmer and drier. A ramp with pop hole will keep out mice and you will be able to wash down the yard without getting water in the coop. You will need to do a lot of cleaning - they are poo making machines - so the easier the better. Enjoy.

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:22 »
If you can get hold of faverolles bantams they are wonderful, cute and lay good sized eggs for little ones , nice compact little bodies and incredibly friendly natures, I love 'em! :D

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
HELP ADVICE NEEDED

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 09:07
by Jellyhead
xx
Hen not well - advice needed

Started by Fenland Girl on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 01, 2008, 08:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
Advice needed please

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 21:54
by Tosca

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 34 queries.