Culling

• 33 Replies

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Re: Culling
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 23:41 »
There is a 'humane killer' which looks a bit like a pair of pliers, you use it just below the head from behind, close them up and it dilocates the neck, much easier then 'pulling' an older cockerel, tho I still go through that motion to seperate it more. (have to psyche myself up for about a week before, seeing it as a roast instead of a pet :( ). I also have a short piece of lead pipe handy 'for emergencies'
I'm sure its a deed we all hate doing, but I prefer to do it rather than put them through the stress of a market, I've watched the way they are handled and it's not nice.

Spana

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 13:24 »
they'll likely end up as raptor food. 

I've watched the raptor man buying anything that no-one else bid for  for £1 a cage, most of them  with at least 3 birds in sometimes as many as  5.  He carries them outside by their feet a cage at a time and culls them at the back of his van and throws them in still flapping.  I'm not criticising him, he has birds to feed, just saying how it is.

hillfooter

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 14:43 »
I watched a tv program  called the Gourmet Farmer , it showed  a cockeril being dispatched by cutting of the head. They placed the bird in a cone fixed to a post and then cut of the head with a knife, it seemed quick and humane.  Has anyone used this way before.

I have only had to cull 1 bird before it was quite distressing at the time.

Geoff

I think this is how the Americans do it and I suppose it's every bit as humane as wringing their necks and I suspect less prone to bodging though a bit messy..  You probably need the cone or you'd have blood splattered everywhere.  Turkeys are often despatched like this as it's safer being more powerful birds.  If however you are skilled at wringing their necks it's very quick and invoves less stressing the birds and having to make preparations as well as being less messy.

No one who loves birds gets pleasure from having to kill them but when it needs to be done its best to do it well.  I've never regretted having done it though I've regretted having to do it.
HF
Truth through science.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 01:09 »
I've never regretted having done it though I've regretted having to do it.
HF

a very suitable phrase HF

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 34 queries.