Courgettes and how to treat them before flowering

• 4 Replies

Grubbypaws

I have always followed the advice of my first gardening book and am mean to my courgettes until they start flowering.

The book says that too much water and food in the early stages promotes too much leafy growth. It suggests that after the initial watering-in not to water them again until the flowers appear unless they are obviously suffering; plants under stress will always flower and fruit more prolifically. It also said that feeding should only be started once the fruits begin to swell.

On this rainy day when all allotment activity is impossible I have been browsing some of my other books and websites. Virtually all say to sprinkle a general fertilizer when planting the young courgettes and many say to keep the soil moist.

Which is correct? Have I been unnecessarily unkind to my plants or is the advise that I have been following good?

missmoneypenny

Re: Courgettes and how to treat them before flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 18:07 »
It seems that whatever you do they will generally do well and be productive. I find they like a good amount of space and no encroachment from plants around them. I would agree, Probably best to up the feed once flowers have set to prevent too much leafy growth at the expense of the fruit. Keep an eye out for slugs and snails when they are still small. After that they pretty much  take care of themselves.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 19:23 »
I’ve alway treated them well to get big healthy plants established. Never noticed any problem with delayed fruiting. When I’ve neglected them they usually end up weak useless plants.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:01 »
The leaves are the "solar panels" that provide the plant with energy to make flowers and set fruit. I would make sure the plant has adequate fertilizer and water before it has flowers and fruits.

Feed and water may need to increase when plants are larger and producing fruit for you.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:02 »
They need plenty of food to make the big healthy plants Nobbie has mentioned, so if your soil is poor it's a good idea to give them some general purpose fertiliser when planting out.

I use tomato fertiliser when they start producing fruit rather than a high nitrogen fertiliser to help them concentrate on the job in hand, although when the neighbours start avoiding me I do wonder whether I should be trying to slow them down instead!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Really compacted soil, best way to treat it?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 15:38
by Ema
question
How to treat an allotment with manures / fertilizers

Started by kirby-11 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by Zippy
angry
Using neem oill to treat nematodes

Started by logi06 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 21:13
by Yorkie
clip
Strawberry leaves brown - scorch or blight? How to treat

Started by lcarduk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2017, 23:14
by lcarduk

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 45 queries.