keeping a dog?

• 6 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
keeping a dog?
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:38 »
Hi I would like your opinions on how long you can leave a dog for whilst at work, I would love a dog but I think 7 hours is too long to be left alone, either in the house or teathered outside with a dog house...how long do others leave theirs?

8doubles

Re: keeping a dog?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:07 »
Imo, if you cannot be with the dog do not get one ,dogs are pack animals and do not like being on their own at all , two dogs you can leave all day as they have each other for company.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24 »
and they need to be able to have a wee at least half way through the day.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54 »
I would think very carefully about a dog unless you know someone who can let it out and give it a cuddle at least once a day, I know it's hard when you really want one, but it's worth the wait! Some dogs will quite happily sleep away a working day, but you don't know if a dog would cope till you have it, then it's too late and you may have a very stressed dog on your hands. We delayed getting a dog till our work patterns suited, I was working nights and OH worked days. Now we have two dogs and I work 5-1 twice a week and 5-8.45 three times, then OH walks the girls in the park before going to work 7.30-4, so they are never alone for long.
It might be a good idea to wait a bit till you can work something out to break the day up, it will be worth the wait to get it right.

codheadred

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:37 »
I wouldnt advise getting any dog which you were to leave for 7 hours or so, even if you paired it with another animal and kept it in a run, you may get lots of other advice and material saying that it can but in my experience it doesnt work.

There are a number of other factors not least breed and the energy levels of the dog, I ended up having my dogs walked during the working day by a dog walking service to break up the day whilst I work full time, but even that didnt work.

I agree with tosca100 in that a few hours are all they should be left for and it does vary from dog to dog I wouldnt want you (or the dog) to have the same experiences as myself wait until you have the time.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 16:07 »
thanks for your replies I thought it would be too long :( Well i will wait till I can give them a proper home with more time, such a shame as there are so many lovely walks around where I live, maybe I can convince the other half that I should be a lady of leisure!!!!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 16:58 »
thanks for your replies I thought it would be too long :( Well i will wait till I can give them a proper home with more time, such a shame as there are so many lovely walks around where I live, maybe I can convince the other half that I should be a lady of leisure!!!!!

Hope you have more luck than me!!!! But to be fair, I have recently dropped two half days, so might be worth a try........ :D

xx
BEE KEEPING

Started by ACKY on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 19:13
by carrot cruncher
xx
Bee keeping courses

Started by noshed on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 18:57
by Rubellite
xx
Keeping bees

Started by moonrakermagpie on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 18:13
by Steven Rowe
xx
Bees keeping

Started by animal mad on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 20:47
by darren64

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.