Toor Dal

• 6 Replies

Lardman

Toor Dal
« on: September 12, 2015, 20:04 »
Does anyone have a good tried and tested recipe ? I'm still coming up short, even the microwave one I bought from the grey supermarket is miles better than my attempts.  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Toor Dal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 20:53 »
I like Manjula's veggie version (I don't have amchoor - so sub with a squirt of lemon or lime juice)

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2007/02/16/toor-dal/

I don't have a pressure cooker, so just cook in ordinary saucepan 15/20 mins 'til cooked.

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:11 »
Mumofstig and Lardman, if you can get hold of amchoor, you'll love it, I promise. It has a lovely scent.

Not toor dal, I'm afraid, but here's one of my favourite Madhur Jaffrey vegetarian recipes that uses it:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chickpeas-cooked-in-a-moghlai-style

It makes quite a lot, but I guess it would freeze OK. I usually halve it. I add the garum marsala and amchoor a bit closer to the end to retain a bit more of the perfume.

That looks like a nice site, mumofstig. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for starting this thread, Lardman.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:21 »
There are quite a few Manjula fans on here Snoop  :)  You will find yourself going back and back to that site  ;)

Our local big Tesco sells amchoor.  I agree about the scent.  It adds a lovely sour note to curries that is different to lemon or tamarind  :)

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 13:08 »
I started with Manjula's (I'm a huge fan), but I just can't get it right  ::) Every time I try it just tastes like lentils in spicy water, there's no cohesion.  I try now and then when I have curry munchies and nothing to curry but it's beginning to niggle me now and I want it sorted.

That looks like a nice site, mumofstig. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Careful over there snoop - I've lost hours dribbling over the keyboard, I just wish she wouldn't fry so much  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 15:53 »
I started with Manjula's (I'm a huge fan), but I just can't get it right  ::) Every time I try it just tastes like lentils in spicy water, there's no cohesion. 

The traditional recipes are quite liquid, compared to what you might get in a restaurant.  I would have a go and maybe halve the water.  4 cups to 1 cup of dal is quite a lot. 

Do you pressure cook it or just use a normal pan?  With a pressure cooker, you get as much out as you put in, so that recipe would be watery.  If you are using a normal pan, it would be easy to splash in more water from the kettle if it started looking like it was drying out.

when I have curry munchies

Just reading that recipe has got mine going again :lol: 

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 13:35 »
I've been using the pressure cooker - who has time to simmer stuff on the hob ?  :wacko:

I don't think it's just the fact it's too watery but I'll switch to a normal pan for a bit so I can get a better idea of what's going on.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 39 queries.