Freeze drying herbs

• 9 Replies

peanut

• Experienced Member
Freeze drying herbs
« on: May 07, 2009, 22:12 »
How do you go about freeze drying herbs?  Is it just pick em and stick em in an airtight freezer bag or much more complicated?
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Freeze drying herbs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 22:19 »
That's all i ever do with mine when you take them out if you're quick you can crumble them while they're still frozen. Otherwise you're chopping a soggy mess :(
I think the ones you buy freeze dried are a completely different process and wouldn't know where to start :unsure:

titch

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 22:43 »
thats how i do mine too mos - also with chilis, when thye are reduced in the supermarket, freeze em whole for another time
just keep breathing................

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 22:50 »
I haven't actually got around to growing any herbs yet... :blush: but I buy fresh from the supermarket and stick 'em straight in the freezer - basil, coriander, parsley...as MOS said, you don't even have to chop - just crush them up in your hands or in the bag and chuck 'em in whatever it is your cooking - its a great way to use them I think  :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

alwayshopeful

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 13:45 »
If you are worried about just sticking them straight in the freezer, try chopping them up and adding them to ice cube trays with a bit of water.  Then you can just pop and add to soups, stews, etc whenever you need one  :)
I have a pair of secateurs and I'm not afraid to use them!!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 14:26 »
I just use straight from frozen (crumble if a small amount, chop bits off a bunch if a large amount).  It's not the same texture as either fresh or dried but the taste is more like the fresh leaf than the dried.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 19:31 »
Very helpful, thanks all

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 22:16 »
I just use straight from frozen (crumble if a small amount, chop bits off a bunch if a large amount).  It's not the same texture as either fresh or dried but the taste is more like the fresh leaf than the dried.

Yes, spot on - and you have to be quick before is defrosts and goes all gloopy! :D

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 15:24 »
That's all i ever do with mine when you take them out if you're quick you can crumble them while they're still frozen. Otherwise you're chopping a soggy mess :(
I think the ones you buy freeze dried are a completely different process and wouldn't know where to start :unsure:
Yes its a very different process and usually involves blasting them with freezing air (or so I'm led to believe). Think you need lots of expensive equipment to do it.....   I'd stick to a quick crumble  ::)

Riala

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23 »
I was going to stick mine in small amounts in ice cube trays with water... sort of frozen cubed herbs.

As suggested by alwayshopeful.

xx
Freeze drying

Started by Rocinante on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 08:46
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Drying herbs

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 01:05
by Endymion
xx
Drying herbs

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 22:31
by gavinjconway
xx
Drying herbs

Started by logi06 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2020, 12:39
by Ema

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.