Very few potatoes - Charlotte

• 4 Replies

Middle Eastern Gardener

Very few potatoes - Charlotte
« on: June 11, 2020, 09:51 »
Hello,  I wonder if you may have any ideas as to why so far - 5 plants dug - I have had so few potatoes from my Charlottes?  I had two plants in the poly tunnel - just to compare the difference - the rest are in the ground.  From the tops, everything looks good and healthy, soil is good, temperature has been good, regular watering as needed, a good amount of rain as well.   But, I have only had  4-6 potatoes from each plant.  They area good size and lovely flavour, just not enough!  Any ideas why?  I’m interested to see the responses, many thanks..

jambop

Re: Very few potatoes - Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:40 »
I have grown them again this year. I lifted a plant for the first of this year and got 1.5kg of really lovely potatoes . So maybe a bit like yourself not a huge crop but I am happy with them. Maybe you are just a bit early lifting them? I use a very small seed potato, as is the way down here, usually about 25 - 35mm so maybe I expect a smaller yield per plant but more plants per kg of seed usually makes up for small seed. Fertiliser makes a huge difference too! I did not use any this year only manure and compost so again this may be a reason I have a small crop per plant have you used fertiliser?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 13:06 »
Off the top of my head Charlotte’s are a 2nd early so I think probably a bit early for harvesting perhaps except in your pt, as I assume you would have planted those 2 plants early?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Middle Eastern Gardener

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 12:42 »
Off the top of my head Charlotte’s are a 2nd early so I think probably a bit early for harvesting perhaps except in your pt, as I assume you would have planted those 2 plants early?

Thank you, I thought they were an early variety, so perhaps I have lifted them too early?  I will be a little more patient with the rest of the row.  Thank you very much

Middle Eastern Gardener

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:44 »
I have grown them again this year. I lifted a plant for the first of this year and got 1.5kg of really lovely potatoes . So maybe a bit like yourself not a huge crop but I am happy with them. Maybe you are just a bit early lifting them? I use a very small seed potato, as is the way down here, usually about 25 - 35mm so maybe I expect a smaller yield per plant but more plants per kg of seed usually makes up for small seed. Fertiliser makes a huge difference too! I did not use any this year only manure and compost so again this may be a reason I have a small crop per plant have you used fertiliser?

Thank you, no fertiliser, just lots of compost and manure.  This is the second year of our new veg patch in previously uncultivated ground.  Out of interest, where in south west France are you please, we are close to Pau..

xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 08:28
by hectic
xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by Sue33 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 09:26
by Sue33
xx
Charlotte potatoes...

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 09:29
by Paul Plots
xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by gadd2508 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 15:17
by jambop

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.