I don't have a cold frame

• 8 Replies

tomato-joy

« on: May 09, 2007, 13:20 »
What should I do to help my plants adjust from the  (unheated) greenhouse and the cold, wet outside?

Should I put bottle cloches over them? I've found that they tend to be blown away at the slightest gust - does anyone have any ideas for keeping them fixed?
trying to be organic...

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 13:37 »
A fleece is good.  Or cloches.

Pop bottles : I use them on their side. Cut out a rectangular window about 2 inches wide and almost full length. Punch a wee hole at the base (opposite side from the window).

Put a stone or some soil in the top. Lay it on its side and push a cane or wire through the hole. Voila!

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 15:27 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
A fleece is good.  Or cloches.

Pop bottles : I use them on their side. Cut out a rectangular window about 2 inches wide and almost full length. Punch a wee hole at the base (opposite side from the window).

Put a stone or some soil in the top. Lay it on its side and push a cane or wire through the hole. Voila!

Any pictures WG??
I can't picture this  :?

sorry to be a pain
"Every day's a school day!"

ORGANICally minded

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 16:01 »
Quote from: "Neil"
Any pictures WG??
I can't picture this
Your wish is my command ...

Empty - with attractive heathers in background

Full - in use as a seed tray

In use as a cloche over nasturtium (note cane thru hole & stone in neck, but ignore canes in background)

Or use a row of them vertically as a windbreak around tender plants (note cane inside but ignore canes in background)

Better start drinking ...

tomato-joy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 16:38 »
hmmmm, think my seedlings are a bit bigger than yours.  :wink:

Been growing them up in the greenhouse, and they're about 3-4" high and not sure if the bottle would be wide enough. I need some of those Victorian bell cloches, but they are so expensive.

I might just wait till middle of May, plant everything out and hope that global warming gives us the hottest June on record. Or I might have a hunt in the supermarket for some strange condiment bottles that are wide...something like 5 litres of mustard should do it!

WG.

Re: I don't have a cold frame
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 16:41 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
Should I put bottle cloches over them? I've found that they tend to be blown away at the slightest gust - does anyone have any ideas for keeping them fixed?

I deliberately plant things out when they are small.  I reckon they adapt better.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 16:55 »
Would the 6 pint milk bottles be big enough TJ????  using them similar to WG's pop bottles?????

noshed

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 17:19 »
The plastic boxes you get plums and stuff in are good - a bit wider than pop bottles. Just stick a cane through to anchor them.
I managed to get hold of some water containers from a water cooler. They are great once you saw the bottom off.
Also it's not that hard to make a cold frame from some pallet wood and old windows or plastic. Just try a bit of creative bodging.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 17:22 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
hmmmm, think my seedlings are a bit bigger than yours.  :wink:

Been growing them up in the greenhouse, and they're about 3-4" high and not sure if the bottle would be wide enough. I need some of those Victorian bell cloches, but they are so expensive.

I might just wait till middle of May, plant everything out and hope that global warming gives us the hottest June on record. Or I might have a hunt in the supermarket for some strange condiment bottles that are wide...something like 5 litres of mustard should do it!

Thanks for the pics WG - now i get it!! :roll:

a good idea methinks.

joy, get hold of some of the 5litre mineral water bottles from the supermarket, that should do it.....

xx
What to with cold frame now

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 20:31
by DD.
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Praxxus on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:44
by pink aubergine
question
Cold Frame

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 13:51
by Woodhousemoor
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 14:42
by noshed

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.