Univited fishing!

• 26 Replies

Paul Plots

Univited fishing!
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:03 »
While I was out my daughter watched "a large black bird" land and perch on the fence near our pond. She then watched it hop down to the water's edge... Mrs Plots joined in the watching.  :blink:

Next the "large black bird" nabbed one of my goldfish (a 3" red one apparently) and flapped off with it.  >:( 

So who was it who "did the garden" recently and took the net off?
Mrs Plots points out that she has put it back on again now.  :wub:

Has anyone else had univited fishing in their pond?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Univited fishing!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54 »
Was the large black bird a "blackbird" or something like a crow?  The only thing the blackbirds take from our pond is tadpoles and any creapy crawley they can find.  They love dragonfly nymphs.

I looked out of our dining room window last week when the hens were making a fuss.  They were huddled in their covered coop/run and on the roof was a huge heron.   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00 »
If you have a look on youtube you can find a few very funny clips, of birds feeding bread to fish, and as the fish come up to feed on the fish, the bird caches the fish and eats them  :lol:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

bertiewhite

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 13:21 »
My Dad used to swear by a fake Heron on the side of his pond because he was told that a Heron will not "fish" if there is already one there. Not sure if it works for other birds or at all really.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 13:48 »
My Dad used to swear by a fake Heron on the side of his pond because he was told that a Heron will not "fish" if there is already one there. Not sure if it works for other birds or at all really.

My friend bought one of those and was disgusted to see a real heron trying to mate with the fake one!!!!   ::) :lol:

bertiewhite

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 13:53 »
I guess that puts paid to that theory then  :blush:

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 14:42 »
Our fake heron died a death years ago when his concrete painted head snapped off...(such a shame  ;) )

The "black bird" wasn't a blackbird but something much larger.... it may have been a crow or possibly a Jackdaw... either way the little b****r pinched one of my goldies for dinner.

Mrs Plots has taken to having the odd few metal chickens sat sitting around the garden - fat lot of use they are no matter how you look at it.  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 15:19 »
Our fake heron died a death years ago when his concrete painted head snapped off...(such a shame  ;) )

The "black bird" wasn't a blackbird but something much larger.... it may have been a crow or possibly a Jackdaw... either way the little b****r pinched one of my goldies for dinner.

Mrs Plots has taken to having the odd few metal chickens sat sitting around the garden - fat lot of use they are no matter how you look at it.  :lol:

As the metal chickens rot away isn't that good for the garden!!   :wacko:

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 19:00 »

As the metal chickens rot away isn't that good for the garden!!   :wacko:

It may well be but not a lot of chance of golden eggs.  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 19:08 »
Me thinks you doth expect too much Mr Plots, they are chickens after all and not Geese!  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31 »
Me thinks you doth expect too much Mr Plots, they are chickens after all and not Geese!  :nowink:

At least these chickens don't appear to eat goldfish.  :)

Warning:

Keep a look out for large black birds - probably crows - peering with their beedy black eyes at your pond!

spottymint

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:17 »
That grey suited bird visits us, we have wind propelled spinners, gaurdy dragon flies & cotton up to thrawt him.

Fake herons don't work, heron's are social birds & live in heronries, another heron is showing there is good fishing to be had at your pond.

Last time he raided, he took a 8" gold tench, spiked a 10" orf to death & emptied the pond.
Only the 16" ghost carp escaped, at 2lb, that would have been a meal.

If nets are fitted close to the water, he may still try striking the fish, if he spikes them, it will kill them, the net just stops him eating the body.

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51 »
Carrion crows are one of the most intelligent birds about and if they spot a food source when they stop for a drink bye-bye fishy.
You often see CC`s beachcombing.

Spana

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 13:34 »
I've seen herons land in the pond here in deep water and swim about catching fish as they go ???

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 14:30 »
Around our pond we have a low (18") wire fence - the net fits onto this.

When it's in place it seems to work well... no long beak dipping allowed!

(I just need to keep an eye on Mrs P and her gardening so the net gets puts back again!!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:36 by Paul Plots »

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.