why do some dogs scavenge ??

• 30 Replies

starry

Re: why do some dogs scavenge ??
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29 »
I think some dogs scavenge, others roll in smelly stuff. ::)

yes my two do both and dig up the garden, have fenced some of it off but they still manage to get in  ??? 
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 16:45 »
Re picking up garbage and stray food. True, it's their nature. But they must be trained not to do so. It shows who is in command (and who has to pay vet bills).

If anyone suggests that animals should be allowed to stay within their nature, then tell them you'll forward all vet bills to them.

gobs

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 17:15 »
Re picking up garbage and stray food. True, it's their nature. But they must be trained not to do so. It shows who is in command (and who has to pay vet bills).

If anyone suggests that animals should be allowed to stay within their nature, then tell them you'll forward all vet bills to them.

Yes, and also to live with them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

starry

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 16:40 »

Trouble is I might tell them no when I see them start to sniff stuff and they might obey that time but there are plenty of times when they will do it when I'm not looking and if you haven't had westies for a pet you wont know how stubborn and determined they are   :nowink:

sarajane

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 21:10 »
We've got a stubborn westie cross and he's the same as 90% of our dogs and will eat anything he finds.  He is currently eating his way through any piles of manure he can get off the site (there are lots of piles of it being delivered at the moment) and will grab a chunk and run and hide with it.

As for fox poo Argyllie, I'm sure they think it smells like Chanel No 5.  (and he looks so proud of himself when he's rolled in it   .   uuuuurgh its  a BAD smell) :tongue2:

Raven81

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36 »
Our rottweiler never used to beg or scavenge until he had his stroke in November.  Now he goes crazy for any scraps on the pavement or in bins we walk past and has started begging at home.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 10:40 »
My well fed Alsation Lab was a greedy, scavenging so and so. Her fave hobby was to collect up discarded orange peel which she would neatly inter in the rose beds with loving care but dig up and eat quickly if she found she was being watched  :D

mustela-furo

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36 »
I have an english springer and a lurcher and when out working they will both stop and eat anything including dead rabbits and birds  >:(, it is not as though they were starved they just have this anoying habbit of an idea that if they don't eat it something else will.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46 »
They could be eating as a survival instinct as they don't know when their next meal will be.  They rely on humans to feed them so might enjoy being in control for a change!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Thrift

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 13:28 »
I think most dogs scavenge to a certain extent ..... it's in their DNA and presumably goes back to how an animal lives in the wild. Their idea of a gourmet meal is something smelly and disgusting (to us).

As for fox poo ..... that seems to be the preference of the males. I have never had a bitch do that, which is one reason that I would always have a bitch. Another, is that they don't lift their legs against my plants!

The best way to remove nasty smells and fox poo (without resorting to a full shampoo) is a wad of cotton wool and a good application of meths rubbed vigorously through the coat ..... it's usually around the neck.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 14:04 »
I think most dogs scavenge to a certain extent ..... it's in their DNA and presumably goes back to how an animal lives in the wild. Their idea of a gourmet meal is something smelly and disgusting (to us).

As for fox poo ..... that seems to be the preference of the males. I have never had a bitch do that, which is one reason that I would always have a bitch. Another, is that they don't lift their legs against my plants!

The best way to remove nasty smells and fox poo (without resorting to a full shampoo) is a wad of cotton wool and a good application of meths rubbed vigorously through the coat ..... it's usually around the neck.

Hmmph....try telling that to my two bitches! They are both bad for fox poo, but Bella pup is obsessed! Revolting hound!!! :ohmy:

Thrift

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 14:29 »
I must have had nice ladylike girls  ::)

tosca100

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 18:10 »
I must have had nice ladylike girls  ::)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rats

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 18:19 »
probably my first post on this forum so i'll say hi whilst here :tongue2:

my last dog was a stray, a bit of a heinz 57 but as daft as a brush, i reckon she'd been surviving around birmingham for at least 6 months on her own, filthy and heavily matted hair that i had to cut off

once i caught her and took her home, got her all cleaned up and injected/wormed etc', i had to keep her on a lead mostly as where ever we walked and there was something she considered edible (dirty nappies, rotting chicken, greasy chip paper etc') she'd be on it like a shot and i'd have to grab her and fight to get it out of her mouth

then there was the really disgusting habit of rolling in "stuff" (i'm an angler), dead and rotting fish on the bank, any rotting carcass and the worst must be fox dodo

much as she was a lovely dog she had some pretty disgusting habits  :wacko:

no pets now unless you include the gf and three landrovers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 18:22 by Rats »

tosca100

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 18:23 »
Hi Rats and welcome. :)

I think your dog and Bella pup would get on really well, the have similar habits! She had at least two homes by the time we homed her at 8 weeks. :(

xx
4 dogs, 4 horses

Started by white-blazes on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 18:59
by white-blazes
xx
my dogs have some thing to say..

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 20:17
by too many girls
xx
Dogs (don't you just love them)

Started by danfinn1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 20:53
by Trikidiki
xx
my dogs ears

Started by chrissie B on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 19:55
by Growster...

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 38 queries.