Urgent dog help

• 34 Replies

Deucecoup

Re: Urgent dog help
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:59 »
The parish did complain of my van though, thats the type of village we live in.
It was too big (2007 short wheel base, low top transit van), maybe they will only be happy when we move away!!

stompy

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 13:04 »
You don't live in a caravan do you Deucecoup  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 13:05 »
they'd hate me moving there then with lorries, American pick up, motorbikes, Medium length, medium height Transit and a Transit connect  :lol: Want me to visit sometime  ;).

Seriously though it does sound like your dogs do need to have something to occupy them for a few hours and then they will sleep. Looks like you will have to keep up with the Kong and the peanut butter  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

pigeonpie

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 13:45 »
Having been a parish councillor (and having served with other parish councillors, both of the useful and helpful kind and of the vicar of dibley kind) I think that it is fair to ask the councillor to quantify the situation in more detail.  He (or she) may well be acting on behalf of other people within the village who are disturbed by the noise but feel unable to talk to you about it, including perhaps your neighbours.  Equally he (or she) may be acting off their own back or on behalf of one person who may be anti-dog. 
Perhaps if you can arrange to speak to the councillor again and ask exactly what complaint has been made, by whom or at least by how many and ideally ask for a quantification of how often the barking has been a problem and for how long.  Explain that you want to deal with the issue and all information will help you to fully understand the situation and therefore to provide suitable solutions.

I agree that it is a good idea to distract the dogs and prevent the behaviour but without having a full picture of why some people are complaining you may be barking up the wrong tree (sorry, couldn't resist the pun! :lol:)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 15:27 »
Not wishing to stereotype here but in my experience Parishes are run by self prophesying old biddies who are not content unless they are complaining about something. How many times have you heard of these people holier than thou being caught doing malicious things take the woman who chucked a cat in the bin she was actually on a parish council.

Yes dog barking can be annoying but as you stated you sat outside listening and not a peep when it was busy outside. This is peer pressure and bullying by sad biddies who have nothing better to do than moan.

Advice put your camcorder or whatever on record and store the tapes CD's with dates on and if no issue wait for them to return to complain then tell them to stuff it.

If your face don't fit then that's their issue.

We had an issue with a neighbour complaining about our dog barking so we sent the dog off to a friends house for a few nights because we knew our dog was not the problem and true to form at 6:00am one morning a knock on the door complaining about the dog barking all night imagine the red faces when they discovered our dog was not even there and in fact it was a dog a few doors down.

Nothing better to do as far as I am concerned.

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 16:30 »
If you are doing your best to make sure your dogs are quiet, and you know they are not solidly barking all day, then I wouldn't worry. A letter from the council Env Health officer would be the next thing to expect if neighbour's are really getting narked. They would then be asked to keep diaries to record dates and times, and you're not there yet.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 17:44 »
I agree - you are doing everything you can to stop your dogs from barking so I would not worry about it too much.

Also, someone saying that your dogs are "barking all day" could actually mean that "your dogs bark two or three times a day and it irritates me so I am going to moan to you about it".  So unless you get complaints off other neighbours, I really would not worry about it too much.

I would try to find out how often and regularly they do bark - even if it means borrowing a video camera or something that will record for the whole time that you are out.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Deucecoup

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 18:39 »
Ive been looking on ebay at Dictaphones, some have a voice activated record function and Over 500 hours recording time. £30-40, so maybe next month I might try and get one.

Seems like an easy way to listen, then I could tally up the TBT=total bark time  :lol:

Thankyou everyone for your help, I do feel calmer and more relaxed about it. At least I am trying to do something.

pigeonpie

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 18:44 »
Not wishing to stereotype here but in my experience Parishes are run by self prophesying old biddies who are not content unless they are complaining about something.

Our parish council range in ages from 26 through to 64, only one of whom is retired, everyone else is employed in a wide range of jobs.  Everyone has a wide range of interests and experiences which they bring to the council.  

I think it is unfair to judge all councils to be the same.  Also, this topic is to discuss a dog problem and not a parish councillor problem so perhaps is not the best place to continue this discussion.

Deucecoop I wish you all the best in solving the issue.  

Deucecoup

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 18:50 »
Thankyou very much.
Oh and I forgot to mention that ive bought something to help wear them out. Our American Bulldog was a champion pulling dog and loves to run. I wont say any more until it arrives, lets just say I had to buy a helmet too!!  :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 18:52 »
we will want photos  :lol:

pigeonpie

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 19:01 »
And a video...   :lol:

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 21:56 »

I think it is unfair to judge all councils to be the same.  Also, this topic is to discuss a dog problem and not a parish councillor problem so perhaps is not the best place to continue this discussion.

Deucecoop I wish you all the best in solving the issue.  

i. As I stated, I am not wishing to stereotype. I did not infer that all where the same Just in my experience,

2. The Dog problem is a Parish problem because it is the Parish who are complaining as stated above.

I'm glad we could help put Deucecoup mind at ease.

Bill

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 22:25 »
Would TV ocupy them better than the radio?  Our dog loves to watch it, especially anything with animals in.  Worth a try.
Good luck!
John

Deucecoup

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 22:08 »
Ok, well we purchased an ultrasonic anti bark thing which has helped according to the neighbours. All the surrounding neighbours say they are only barking for maybe 30 mins across the whole day.
The parish meeting was yesterday but we couldnt attend, the meeting plan had 'Dog barking as Rose Acre' on the agenda. We wont be able to see the minutes for at least a week though.
I also purchased a sound activated video camera which I will use next week. We also had our direct neighbours here for the last week and the dogs dont bark at them now which is great.
I am going to stop worrying so much about it now as I think the amount of time they bark is minimal and ultimatly 'Dogs Bark'.
Lets see what they say as ive been off work for the last 2 weeks and the dogs have not barked at all. If they say they have been barking SOMEONE is lying.

xx
Urgent rabbit help please

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 03:03
by Paul Plots
xx
Urgent - Are birds classed as agriculture?

Started by gsc on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 13:31
by gsc
xx
Calling all ferret fanciers! Urgent!

Started by Starling on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.