Urgent dog help

• 34 Replies

Deucecoup

Urgent dog help
« on: April 10, 2011, 16:47 »
Hi all,

We have 2 dogs, an American Bulldog and a Boxer. We moved to the devon countryside last year and love it here in the sleepy village.
Where we used to live the dogs didnt bark whilst we were at work but yesterday a parish councilor came to the door to complain about the dogs barking all day. I was so upset and shocked I went round the village and asked 10 households their views on the noise our dogs make.
They all said a few things:
1) Dogs bark, thats life
2) They dont bark all day, 8am when my wife leaves for work for 20 mins, a few times through the day and at 4pm when she is due home.

They have been left from the day we got them as pups and this barking is new.

I have got 2 big kongs that today i have filled with peanut butter and wet food and put them in the freezer.
They get a long walk when we get home but the bulldog has a bad hip so cant walk him for more than an hour.

Please help me, I dont want my dogs to be taken away from me.

Nick

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Urgent dog help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 17:02 »
does your house have a fron garden or are they barking at people walking past?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Deucecoup

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 17:08 »
The house doesnt have a front garden only a back one. The garden is a work in progress with hardly any fences. The dogs have outside space and inside whilst we are away.
The neighbour has a right of way going down the back of the garden, she uses it once a day and I know one of the dogs will bark then.

They dont make a peep from 4pm onwards or over the weekends. EVER.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 17:10 by Deucecoup »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 17:11 »
Don't panic! I know it's upsetting when your dogs are causing problems to others, but at least you want to do something about it. (Unlike my neighbours!)

First things first, you need to know how bad the problem really is. We put a camera on our's occasionally, as the young dog can be destructive and gets upset when we leave the house. So far, although she looks miserable, she settles OK and is only destructive occasionally....when she has too much energy. An ordinary digital camera with video will record for around 30 minutes if you don't have a camcorder.

Then it may be a good idea to speak to a good behaviourist....not the well meaning crank from down the road, if the problem is bad you really need a recommendation from your vet.

Please don't panic though, the councillor can't just take your dogs off you, and as you didn't know there was a problem you could hardly fix it! I think you may find that there is just one person who is a misery, judging by what other neighbours have said.

Let us know how you get on.

Deucecoup

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 17:43 »
I will try not to panic  :( My wife doesnt seem to care as she says its not all day etc etc.
I will give them the frozen kongs in the morning and see what happens.
I did think about a dictaphone to record the day.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 18:18 »
Have you tried leaving a radio (on a talk show) playing while you are out . It sometimes helps with younger dogs who get lonely.
May be worth a shot seeing if it distracts your two .

Deucecoup

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 18:33 »
They have 'Radio one' on all day. Maybe a Talk show would be a better idea!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 18:43 »
Radio One would be enough to wind anyone up! ::) :D

Anyway.... when we moved to our last house, we were informed that our Terrier then about 3 years old, was barking all the time we were out, where this had never been a problem until then. It turned out he could see out of the window too easily at the front of the house and observe and comment on passers-by. We changed arrangements from then on to prevent him getting that view which was setting him off, and all was well.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Deucecoup

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 18:49 »
Radio One would be enough to wind anyone up! ::) :D

Anyway.... when we moved to our last house, we were informed that our Terrier then about 3 years old, was barking all the time we were out, where this had never been a problem until then. It turned out he could see out of the window too easily at the front of the house and observe and comment on passers-by. We changed arrangements from then on to prevent him getting that view which was setting him off, and all was well.

:)

This is good to read and im glad you managed to fix your problem. I made a start on the side gate and fence today and over the next couple of weeks will start the fencing around their area. One thing we both noticed is when a metal gate at the end of our garden is opened, it creaks and squeeks which sets one of them off. Maybe I can modify the gate to not make any noise?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 18:53 »
Yes, I think any of these little things, like oiling the squeaky gate, that you can do will only help. :) Good luck with sorting it. ;)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34 »
parish councillor

That says it all I have no time for these people supposed Christians more like Charlatans. I was running a Kickboxing club for 9 years at a local church hall and one year they decided they didn't want the club there anymore even though we had never caused any problems.

They kicked us out after we spent thousands on equipment and did charity events to raise money for repairs to the church.

60 Students out of a club that gave them a valuable access to a community life and why because a bunch of old biddies felt a dance class would be more in keeping for little angels.

Pity the sad little demons where running the comity.  >:( >:( 
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:30 »
I think it's fair for people to complain if it's justified. Blaming the councillor is unhelpful.
Barking dogs drive people to distraction so whatever you can do to stop it will restore the peace  :)  Two dogs left together shouldn't be lonely but like you say the creaking gate etc will cause alarm and make them bark. Greasing the gate, leaving the radio on, toys and stimulating treats like the Kong etc will help..

Could you arrange for them to be walked midday?  How do they get to the toilet if you're out all day? 

stompy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40 »
Blaming the councillor is unhelpful

Are you a parish councilor by any chance compostqueen  :tongue2: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My parents used to have the same problem with their little dog, it could see through the bottom window of the front door and when anyone walked past it used to go nuts barking and jumping.
They painted the bottom of the glass door with white emulsion, problem solved.

You need to remove the catalysts that trigger the dogs barking (noises, movement etc)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 12:42 »
No  :tongue2:

:D 

Deucecoup

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 12:58 »
We have dog flaps so they have the kitchen dining room and part of the garden.
Im not blaming the councilor at all.
The kongs lasted a couple of hours and stopped the morning bark.
I came home early yesterday and sat in the car listening for 90 mins. Not a peep ! That was 1pm with people milling about in the village.
The only way I can get an honest view as to whats going on is to record it, either video or audio. Cant afford to do either at the moment.

xx
Urgent rabbit help please

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 03:03
by Paul Plots
xx
Urgent - Are birds classed as agriculture?

Started by gsc on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 13:31
by gsc
xx
Calling all ferret fanciers! Urgent!

Started by Starling on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.