Marrow?

• 6 Replies

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
Marrow?
« on: August 24, 2008, 13:36 »
Do you use them like winter squash? Do they taste nice? A lotty neighbour gave me one and she was most negative- "they aren´t fit to eat once they get so old and tough, we went away on holiday and now we´re overrun".

If they are like winter squash I would guess you could make marrow spice bread, or bake them, but I´ve never eaten them.

Anyone got a good recipe, tried and true? Cooking advice?

Kate and her Ducks

Marrow?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 14:16 »
There are lots of things you can do with them but they are generally pretty boring, wet and tasteless. I'm going to do what my Mum always did with ours (one of my courgettes got away from me and is now about a foot and a half long and about the same in circumfrence). She always stuffed them. Split in half length-ways, scoop out the seeds in the middle and throw out. Then stuff the cavity with a mix of cooked rice and seasoned mince or whatever flavoursome stuff you fancy. Put the two halves together and tie up with string. Bake in the oven untill the flesh of the marrow is soft.  Serve in slices.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Marrow?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 15:25 »
i normally stuff them too.  normally whatever i make up on the night for the stuffing.  you can stuff them with whatever you fancy really,  or what ever you have in the cupboard/ fridge.

as Kate said there's not much of a flavour to they take to any flavour you put with them.

i normally scoop out the seeds and bake cut side down, to the moisture doesn't collect in it when i bake it for a bit before stuffing it.

guess is would work for a zucchini bread recipe (courgette/marrow bread just doesn't sound the same does it??!!)

the skin may get a bit tough but i don't think the inside would.  how big are they?  mine was about 15" long (thinking compared to the size of my laptop screen)  so not too huge,  but it wasn't at all tough.

Ice

• muck spreader
Marrow?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 16:36 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
She always stuffed them. Split in half length-ways, scoop out the seeds in the middle and throw out. Then stuff the cavity with a mix of cooked rice and seasoned mince or whatever flavoursome stuff you fancy. Put the two halves together and tie up with string. Bake in the oven untill the flesh of the marrow is soft.  Serve in slices.
That's exactly what my mum did and when we couldn't afford meat she used some Paxo stuffing with an Oxo cube crumbled in it.  It's also how I cook mine now but thankfully I don't need to use the Paxo.
Cheese makes everything better.

kezlou

Marrow?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 21:19 »
I tend to use marrow the same way as a courgette.
Whether chopped up in stir fry or made into soup.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Marrow?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 23:16 »
Brian likes marrow stuffed too, and his friend said last week (very frugal is his friend!) that he cuts up the marrow skin and puts it in his stews as well!  Waste not, Want not!!!!

kezlou

Marrow?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32 »
Never thought of using the skin, wonder what taste like? I thought it would be too rubbery.

xx
Quantity of Marrow for Marrow & Ginger Jam

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:24
by cheshirecheese
xx
marrow

Started by blueicequeen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 18:44
by catllar
xx
marrow Q

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:46
by sunshineband
xx
Marrow

Started by Storeman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 10:25
by WG.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.