Pink Fir Apple Potatoes

• 5 Replies

kitchen gardener

Pink Fir Apple Potatoes
« on: August 20, 2014, 23:23 »
Just harvested our Pink Fir Apple potatoes - WOW what a huge harvest, only planted about 12 tubers and have got a huge tub full plus another bucket. Does anyone know if I can keep the small ones to use as seed potatoes next year. :) :)
Kitchen Gardener and willing helpers

8doubles

Re: Pink Fir Apple Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:53 »
Yes, i did that for years with no problems !

I would only do it if the potatoes had not been near any diseased crops (blight). :)

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:58 »
The problem is that potatoes get infected with virus carried by aphids, mosaic ets. These show as crinkly mottled leaves and stunted plants. This will probably not be obvious in the current crop but is carried in the tubers.

You will probably be OK for the first year but more than that you are taking a risk. For the price of seed potatoes is it worth it?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23 »
I'd agree with Salmo that the risks outweigh the cost of a few fresh seed potatoes each year.  You may be lucky like 8doubles and have no problems for years, but there are just no guarantees.

If you grow on an allotment site, you risk passing disease on to crops on other plots as well, which isn't really fair on everyone else.

Congratulations on your harvest though.  Pink Fir Apple are just fantastic eating  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 15:20 »
They are delicious - PFA's - I thought they were one of the best - until today when I tasted my 'Ratte' potatoes for the first time!! OMG!  :D

I've been advised on here before not to keep my own potatoes as seed. I can see why - we certainly had blight down here, and possibly blackleg, and it could lead to further plant problems.

The tiny bite-sized taters are scrummy anyway - steam them for a few mins until tender an serve with budder mmmmmmm

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 16:54 »
The problem is that potatoes get infected with virus carried by aphids, mosaic ets. These show as crinkly mottled leaves and stunted plants. This will probably not be obvious in the current crop but is carried in the tubers.

I love PFAs and grow them every year.  I saved some for seed one year and the above happened to me. I won't ever do it again  >:(

xx
Pink fir apple potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 13:54
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Pink Fir Apple Potatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 21:35
by gobs
xx
Chitting Pink Fir Apple potatoes

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 18:43
by Salmo
xx
main crop pink fir apple Potatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 22:25
by gobs

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 39 queries.