Clock wise or anti ?

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Clock wise or anti ?
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:08 »
I was standing idly watching water go down the plug, and had just been talking to a friend who has returned from Australia, it made me think about the way the water was going  (sad). !  Then I was thinking about plants that climb up string or poles.    I googled it, and saw that most plants, where ever in the World always grow anti-clockwise but with some exceptions.    I went out and looked at my Black Eye Susan, and saw it was going clockwise.    Came back in and saw it was one of the exceptions to the rule.     It went on to say, do not try to
make the plants grow the other way or they will fail.
That was my lesson for yesterday.      Did you learn anything yesterday  :D   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Clock wise or anti ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 17:51 »
It puts me in mind of the Flanders and Swann song "Misalliance", about the bindweed and honeysuckle, who - according to the song - twine in opposite directions and thus will ever be misaligned despite their desire to be together  :lol:

https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/flanders-and-swann/misalliance-72

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 14:41 »
I was standing idly watching water go down the plug, and had just been talking to a friend who has returned from Australia, it made me think about the way the water was going  (sad). !  Then I was thinking about plants that climb up string or poles.    I googled it, and saw that most plants, where ever in the World always grow anti-clockwise but with some exceptions.    I went out and looked at my Black Eye Susan, and saw it was going clockwise.    Came back in and saw it was one of the exceptions to the rule.     It went on to say, do not try to
That was my lesson for yesterday.      Did you learn anything yesterday  :D   Mrs Bouquet
    rather like forcing left-handed children to write with their right hand.😡

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 13:47 »
Doesn't water drain down the plug without swirling on the equator?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 14:15 »
    rather like forcing left-handed children to write with their right hand.😡

Or boxers doing a right hook with their left paw...

:0~

al78

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 17:19 »
Doesn't water drain down the plug without swirling on the equator?

Not necessarily. The direction it swirls has nothing to do with the Coriolis force, which is far too weak to have a significant effect. The shape of the basin, existing swirls in the water, and the way you pull the plug are the dominant effects. With practice, you can make water in a sink swirl whichever direction you want.

xx
Dad's 'Auld' Clock.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post January 16, 2022, 11:54
by lettice
xx
My Body Clock has gone wrong

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post January 09, 2019, 20:51
by mrs bouquet
clip
Clock changed overnight - did you remember?

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 19:12
by rowlandwells
xx
Wise sayings...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 18:23
by Growster...

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 46 queries.