Bad management?

• 37 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad management?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 20:12 »
I think a formal complaint to your ward / local councillor, and the council's complaints process, would be a start then.  Hopefully the two-pronged attack might help.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 20:18 »
Thanks, Yorkie - I’ve already spoken to the council and they’ve confirmed the current management process is completely unacceptable - I’m trying to keep a bit of my powder dry but a formal complaint will be the next step, paricularly as I’ve now been subjected to some very unpleasant harassment. The local councillor will soon be getting an email too. 
I don't really look like my avatar.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 20:19 »
Definitely record everything.  It may even be sufficient to justify a formal police warning.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 20:27 »
I think it may well do if it continues. They’ve now been warned I’ll involve the police if necessary.

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 20:53 »
the garden mafia comes to mind its a very shameful and bully boys situation you have I would definitely be speaking to the landlord of the allotments being the local council and explain your concerns  how things have changed since this  pair of cruds have taken charge

i know what i would do but that's my way of putting things rite I set my stool out when someone came to have a conversation about my allotment i asked him who he was and by what  authority he was speaking to me then i have  my say  he left never to be seen again I only said to him when i see you down the village again  we can continue this conversation I understand he has since left the council i wonder why  :lol:

al78

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2021, 21:18 »
It is an unfortunate consequence of a civilised society that nasty individuals can engage in nasty behaviour without fear of having their faces smashed in. It does not help when some seem to excuse the bullying and/or blame the victims, which optimises society for bullies, so you end up with nasty/vindictive at the top of the heirachy. This is why in some cultures, the tradition is to solve problems like this yourself by whatever means you think necessary, which doesn't always work out well for the bully.

The only thing you can do if you don't have power and authority yourself is to get power and authority on your side. Otherwise you are a slave to the bully and they know it.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 00:17 »
Al, that’s a great first sentence.

al78

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 12:10 »
Al, that’s a great first sentence.

It is true though, and for the record it was not intended as a criticism of civility. I do believe one of the things that assists bullying behaviour is lack of consequences, it seems retaliation is often criticised whilst the provocation is ignored, which limits methods of dealing with the bully and allows bullies to carry on bullying. In a civilised society you can't apply consequences with your fists (at least not without worse consequences), so you have to find another way, which is either get someone on your side who has power over the bullies, or get many people on your side and coordinated against the bully.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 12:16 »
Al, again, so true. And of course the bully finds people who are least well-equipped to defend themselves, and  the easiest to manipulate - in our case, the most elderly and the most generous people on sire. It really is abhorrent.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 12:33 »
But … 2 wrongs don’t make a right.

There is a process to go through here and it means keeping calm and carrying on. If a bully pushes your buttons and makes you retaliate, you have fallen for the oldest trick in the book. Now you are are the aggressor and they can play the victim. 

Be the grown up and refuse to play to their rules. Bullies can’t deal with that and you have a much better chance of winning.  They will be on the back foot if they are a bully and this is an established routine for them.  If they are along for the ride and getting carried away, they will soon distance themselves from the bullying once they are challenged.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 12:56 »
New Shoot, that’s all very well in a situation where you have backing from a higher authority. But it transpires self-managed allotments have pretty much free rein, unless someone is committing a criminal offence.

The council don’t have the legal authority to override decisions, or do anything more than advise.

It’s an absolutely ideal breeding ground for bullies.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 13:36 »
This is sometimes the problem with committees. Unless decent people stand and serve on them, you can end up with a clique dominating them.

I think JMC made a lot of good points earlier in this thread. Full on confrontation is not likely to get you anywhere unless you have backing from other plot holders. 

If others are unhappy but unwilling to stand for the committee to change things, what is their take on what the next move is?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 16:41 »
Hi again,  I have just been out in my quiet little corner of England, weeding and dead-heading, and thinking of you.  I have read all the comments and I feel so sad for you to be going through this situation, when your lottie should be the place a go and relax and maybe have a natter with some friendly folk.  Perhaps you will have to relax and let it all go over your head.  Keep your head down and enjoy your plot.  Maybe you could wear some ear things and play some nice music.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2021, 17:53 »
Hi Mrs B,

You’ve just brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for your kindness. My little plot is, or was, indeed a place to escape. Now I’m scuttling around,  trying to be there in the early morning or late evening when I hipe no one else is there. This is  really affecting my life. Tnank you for your understanding. xxx

snowdrops

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 19:53 »
Fingers crossed for you and your other plot holders that this situation doesn’t get any worse. I’m chair of my village’s gardening club & would hate anyone to feel that they weren’t valued either on the committee or in the club for that matter. Ours has been a friendly comfortable the last 12/13 years but I do know that there was a period of time when there was 1 Committee member who caused great problems, thankfully they left the committee & eventually the club when they  tried it on with me!
I really hope you can continue to enjoy your plot. Remember bullies are usually playing a game and if you sit down they can’t chase you anymore!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 52 queries.