Cherry Wine

• 2 Replies

clarebear

• Experienced Member
    • http://thewindowshopaholic.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
Cherry Wine
« on: May 01, 2008, 18:25 »
Hello guys

I am going to be trying my first hand at winemaking this year. I have a cherry tree in the garden and would like to eventually use the cherries from the tree to make wine. It will be a few years before the tree starts producing cherries i reckon so i thought i migh practice with some from the local fruit and veg stall.

Does anyone have a very detailed recipe for cherry wine. One that a total novice will be able to follow
I don't have a drink problem. I drink, I get drunk, I pass out. No Problem.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Cherry Wine
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:25 »
hi clarebear,

it might be worth investing in c.j.j.berry first steps

in winemaking book, we got it when we first started and its easy to follow.

cherry wine (medium)

2 kilos red cherries
          1.3 kilos sugar
          pectic enzyme 1 teaspoon
          4.5 litres water
          yeast and nutrient

stone the cherries.crush the fruit into bowl or bucket.pour over 6 pints of boiling water.mash cherries well.

when cool add pectic enzyme.leave for 2 days stirring daily ,then strain onto sugaradd yeast and nutrient stir well.

leave for 24hours covered in a warm place,then put into demijohn,if needed use cold water to bring wine up to bottom of the neck of demijohn.

then leave it to ferment ,racking when the fermentation has just about stopped

excuse any spelling mistakes ,bit early in the morning for copying out of a book

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Cherry Wine
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 22:34 »
Quote from: "flatcap"
hi clarebear,

it might be worth investing in c.j.j.berry first steps

in winemaking book, we got it when we first started and its easy to follow.

Excellent book that is and nostalgic too.  I've got the 1960 edition which I picked up on a car boot sale years ago.  The cover price is four shillings and sixpence, printed as 4/6.  I paid the stall-holder exactly that for it (22 and a half pence) as I kinda shamed him against asking any more for it.

One of the pages has a pic of CJJ himself fiddling about with demijohns and equipment, whilst clamping a good stout briar pipe between his teeth.  Imagine that these days.   :)   That's a good section as well, explaining how to tap Birch (and other) trees for sap to make Birch Sap Wine.  Keep saying I'll have a go, but never get round to it.

Tis a good plain and simple book though and all the recipes work well and are easy to follow.

"Hidalgo's Grape Concentrate - 1959/60 crop - 52 shillings and sixpence a gallon - deliveries by post or railway gladly arranged at cost."

xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
Cherry Brandy

Started by Auntiemogs on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 23:15
by Auntiemogs
xx
Cherry brandy and damson gin

Started by rhysdad on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 19:43
by sunshineband
xx
Sterilising swing top bottles for Cherry Brandy

Started by rhysdad on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 10:02
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 34 queries.