Beer kit 'stalled'? Help please.

• 7 Replies

Auntiemogs

Beer kit 'stalled'? Help please.
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:36 »
Hi guys,

I finally got around to getting my Woodfordes Wherry ale kit on this week.  The day after I started it, there was foam right up to the top of the FV.  :D The next day, however, it was all gone  ??? and I don't hear any sign of further fermentation. 

I just took a reading and the SG is 1010, so not in the 'green band' on the hydrometer yet, but reading through one of my brewing books it says that it can be ready to decant to the barrel at this point.

So, do you think it's stalled (in which case, what should I do next) or do you think it's finished its first ferment in 2 days?

Cheers,

Mags

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Auntiemogs

Re: Beer kit 'stalled'? Help please.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 14:23 »
Holey moley!  Just checked destructions (with me spec's on) and it said it's ready when consistently below 1014.  Soopa!
Looks like I'll be siphoning off, giving it a quick warm and then getting a wine kit on next week.  Mission heat pad is a success!
Stand down chaps, all is well.  ::) :D

grinling

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 16:45 »
How many days has it been going...it is normally 7 days to decant time.
We put ptfe tape around tap as our kegs have probs with pressure.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 17:50 »
Just a couple of days Grinling. 

I'm thinking of putting a sample in a bottle with some sugar, just to see if it 'takes off' again.  If it doesn't, do you think it may be worth pitching some more yeast in (and if so, what type as I only have ordinary wine yeast hanging around)?

Would be a shame to waste it...

grinling

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 15:09 »
need to keep the same gravity reading for 2 days. stir might be interesting, but would need to leave for extra days. mine froth up quick, but froth goes quick, still leave for 7 days before kegging.
we start keg off with normal venting top as keg not good on pressure, then add extra prime sugar and change to gas top.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 18:39 »
Couldn't resist I'm afraid and gave it a quick shake.  ::)   I'm sure there was a small 'pffft' when I cracked the lid, so hopefully all is not lost.  :)
Thanks Grinling, I have a spare pressure barrel (with gas top) so I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens...

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 21:22 »
I do mine (usually Woodforde's ones) in a fermentation barrel with a bubbler on the top and it never takes less than a full week to settle down, longer if cool.  The latest brew (Nog with a bit of extra spraymalt - try it!) I gave a full two weeks.
In the past when I left one on the go in a distinctly chilly room it was still slowly working after well over three weeks.  (On that one towards the end it stopped overnight every night and started up again mid morning once the chill was off)  I recollect that the end result was very very smooth and very quick to clear.

Two days seems awfully (suspiciously) fast!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 18:42 »
Just an update in case someone has a similar problem...

Left the sample bottle in a warm place for a couple of days and it made a hearty 'pfft' when I opened it.

So, yup, 2 day fermentation in a chilly room (15C overnight) with my heated back warmer.  Very strange, but glad I didn't bin it.  ;)

xx
turbo cider stalled??

Started by Will1983 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:22
by nobby90
xx
co2 cartridge on a beer keg

Started by peggygate on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 14:41
by timtheenchanteruk
xx
Desperate help with beer keg

Started by grinling on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 17:45
by grinling
xx
beer to travel??

Started by timtheenchanteruk on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 08:42
by timtheenchanteruk

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 35 queries.