wood/bark chippings?

• 12 Replies

ladyloulee

• http://ladyloulees-wildlife-garden.blogspot.com/
wood/bark chippings?
« on: May 20, 2008, 18:57 »
hi,
anyone know where there are any wood/bark chippings going free? need then to create a path way on my allotment.
thanks..lou x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 20:43 »
Get on to the council, if your on a city plot you should be able to get some, we have literally tons of the stuff laying about at our plots.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 21:13 »
Have you tried any tree surgeons etc?  They often have wood chippings to dispose of.

If all else fails, find out whether there are likely to be tree surgeons on your site over the back end of the year, and book a wheelbarrow to cart all the chippings afterwards!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ladyloulee

• http://ladyloulees-wildlife-garden.blogspot.com/
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 22:12 »
thank you for the replies.
yes im on a city plot..redhill circle one actually, so will ask the council ;)
i did phone a tree surgeon and its £40 a big lorry load. might see if the other plot holders want to "CHIP" in...hahaha
lou x

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:44 »
Local gardeners, tree surgeons even drive layers, they have to pay for skips or take the things miles away to dispose of them. So, are often only too happy to deliver wood chippings and top soil to your allotment site. Old flags sometimes, which are also useful.

Two warnings about wood chipping PINE has a resin in it, which for some months will burn plants. It is perfect for paths because it will keep weeds down too.  If you get your chippings from some varieties or trees there could be  tree seeds attached then little trees may well start popping up. So rake over the chippings to behead the little devils as soon as they start.

Does any one know if the mushrooms that come from chippings are edible by the way? I did not dare try, composted them, but they did look tempting.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 15:08 »
Our local tree surgeons sell their wood chippings because they now realise theres an extra profit in it for them !! Cheeky *

lincspoacher

wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:52 »
Power stations are now being adapted to burn wood chip and wood bark, and they are also now using them for biofuel, so both have now gained an ever increasing commodity value. Both industries are willing to pay more for bark and chips than the horticultural industry, and its predicted that in three years time bark and woodchip will be unobtainable  for garden/hort use - or at least prohibitively expensive.

AN alternative being looked at for mulch is shredded carpet.

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 07:16 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Power stations are now being adapted to burn wood chip and wood bark, and they are also now using them for biofuel, so both have now gained an ever increasing commodity value. Both industries are willing to pay more for bark and chips than the horticultural industry, and its predicted that in three years time bark and woodchip will be unobtainable  for garden/hort use - or at least prohibitively expensive.

AN alternative being looked at for mulch is shredded carpet.

There is not much natural fibre carpet about, the toxins in most of the stuff would mean that it would not be suitable for use in any area where food crops are grown. Even paths.

yummy

wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:02 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Get on to the council, if your on a city plot you should be able to get some, we have literally tons of the stuff laying about at our plots.

We tried our council a few months back but didn't get anywhere. They said they use them on the city parks. :(

We had to buy ours in the end. The local tree surgeon sells them.

scattybiker1972

wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 15:51 »
:tongue2:    look at shedded tyres,come in lovely colours doesnt rot  and really starting to drop in price now getting more popular

garom

wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 19:04 »
Quote from: "scattybiker1972"
:tongue2:    look at shedded tyres,come in lovely colours doesnt rot  and really starting to drop in price now getting more popular

Do you know where i could get these and how much i should expect to pay?
The MEWW's = 1 x Husband 3 x Kids 1 x springer spaniel 2 x Cats 5 x Chickens

scattybiker1972

wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24 »
some  garden centres are now  starting to sell in in smaller bags.i think quite a fwe builders merchant sell it buy the ton bag,search it on internet for best supplier and price because it varies,its dearish  but it never rots down so never needs replacing.besides have you seen how much bark has gone up to?£ 70ish  a bulk  bag!!!
if you can,i would recomend putting ads in paper,builders yard freecycle ect asking for waste builders  tonnage bags,sand ect gets delivered in them,and thhey get thrown away,but if you open them uout cut them up and they make great and  free weed suppressant material.woks just as well as the stuff you buy,which i think is pooo anyway.weeds still come through.and its expensive .and you are saving them from going into landfill!!!
 :D

Minty

• Experienced Member
wood/bark chippings?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:50 »
I know this might be a little late but for anyone living in Leicester the council have started charging £55 a load for chippings but if you got to the depot at Beaumont Leys (behind the swimming pool) you can fill as many bags/your van or trailer for free.
If the compound is closed just go into the workshop and look for the tall guy with glasses(cant remember his name)and he'll open it up for you.

xx
bark chippings

Started by big green bloke on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 16:14
by duckling
xx
bark chippings

Started by hanssg on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 21:33
by Lee1978
xx
Where to get free wood chippings??

Started by infowarrior on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:44
by Rangerkris
xx
Free wood chippings?

Started by infowarrior on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 15:45
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.