wobbly chicken and diarrhoea

• 13 Replies

smudger699

wobbly chicken and diarrhoea
« on: September 17, 2010, 20:59 »
Hello can anyone help please. I have four ex bats and one of them has suddenly developed lack of coordination and smelly green diarrhoea and struggles to stand up. She will eat if i hand feed her some fresh corn on the cob or lettuce but not her usual ex bat crumb and mixed corn. Its almost like shes drunk. Bless her. If anyone has some advise it would be very gretfull. Thank you

carolbriar

Re: wobbly chicken and diarrhoea
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 21:06 »
I can't really help I'm afraid but I have heard mentioned that too much lettuce can give them the runs.   :(
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:58 »
Hello Smudger,
Sorry to hear about your hen  :(  Welcome to the forum.  There are lots of good experienced people here who can help.  You may need to find a local chicken-friendly vet (not all of them are).  You could try feeling under her wings and then under the wings of one of your other birds to see if she feels hot.  Good luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09 »
Sorry to say this doesn't sound good.  If you haven't done already you must separate her from the rest of your chx.

If she has diarrhoera it's MOST important you should treat for dehydration and food is less important than drink.  Make an electrolyte drink as follows;-

Dissolve in 1 litre of water

2 ml of Salt substitute, (about a third teaspoon of potassium chloride)
2.5 ml (a half teaspoons) of Bicarbarbonate of soda (baking soda)
5 ml (1 teaspoons) salt

Makes enough for at least 5 - 8 days for 1 chicken but renew every 2 days at the most or immediately if fouled (or put out a quarter of a litre and keep remained in a fridge and renew daily).  Give no other drink.

Get your chicken to a vet as soon as possible.

This could be poisoning from a chemical or fungus (or mouldy feed most likely) or an infection.  Keep the bird isolated, warm, and free from stress.  Don't force feed but a few tempting titbits are OK.   Check your feed for mould or dampness especially corn.  Check house for damp litter especially damp hardwood chips in house or run, and clean up and disinfect your house and run.

Checkout http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 22:23 by Aunt Sally »
Truth through science.

smudger699

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 13:50 »
Thank you everyone for your reply. I hand fed her some fresh corn on the cob this morning and a bit of lettice which she gobbled up. I have taken your advise and brought her indoors in a large cat basket. Thanks again for the advice i will make the drink up and try and get her to drink. :D

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 14:39 »
glad she's getting her appetite back but as her system is already under pressure I'd avoid lettuce!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 17:01 »
As she'll not be eating much any high energy dense food is justified and one heavy in protein is good.  Corn is low energy as is vegatables and layers pellets.  Pasta and protein should be good and such as meal worms or tuna in brine, not oil, and chopped ham, dried cat food soaked in warm water, hard boiled egg crumbled should be good too.  Don't forget grit, though not oystershell as there's no need to encourage laying.  But if she's still got loose droppings water is the priority and food once she regains some strength.
HF
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 23:17 by hillfooter »

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 22:08 »
Evening Smudger, hope it gets sorted soon :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

smudger699

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 22:05 »
Hello everyone, Just wanted to give you an update on Marge. I think she is enjoying be inside the house in the cat basket. She stood up today without wobbling but only for a few seconds then layed back down, but thats an improvment from yesterday. She still has a bit of diarrhoea but not quite as loose and she has a good appatite. I have stopped giving her lettice and fresh corn  and as mentioned feeding her spaghetti and ham which she loves.

I just wanted to ask a quick question. Im feeding her three quite small amounts of food three times a day should i increase this. Im picking up some meal worms tommorow for her as well. She is drinking a bit from a small tub in the basket with her which i have added some poultry tonic but not drinking a great deal. Any tips on other food for her to give her a boost would be great. Oh yes i have made a big pot of mash up tonight for the other girls and wondered would it be ok to give her some. I use cooked rice with mashed up veg peelings and oats. Thanks again everyone and will let you know how she is tommorow.  :D   

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 22:55 »
As long as she's drinking and eating something I wouldn't be too concerned exactly what.  You won't cure whatever problem has caused this by the food she eats you'll just have to hope it's a transitory condition and she manages to fight it off.  All you can do is provide a good nursing environment keeping up her strength with minimum stress which will enable her immune system the best chance.  You should still take her to a vet unless you are seeing a definite improvement.

Regards
HF

smudger699

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 19:03 »
Hello all

Thanks again for your replies, Just to let you all know She has improved  :D Today she has been out in the garden all day injoying the sun and being on her own. She has eaten three worms and plenty of homemade mash and wobbling all over the place. This might be a strange questions but can chickens have strokes???? She can now stand but her right side seems more affected but her strengh is comming back.  Will let you know how she gets on Thanks everyone   

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 19:54 »
Good news, Smudger.  :)  Hope she keeps improving

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 23:53 »
Well they can have heart attacks so I suppose strokes are possible too though I haven't come across this.  Poisoning especially from a fungus or mould can cause nervous system symptoms also drinking antifreeze, as can diseases such as Mareks though your chx problem seems to have happened suddenly which is why I suggested poisoning.

HF,

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17 »
I have read symptoms similar to these on forums and ppl seemed to think perhaps it was a stroke.  I would still take her to the vet if still wobbly even if she's eating more...

xx
hybrid chicken with Diarrhoea

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 22:20
by redmolly
xx
?record egg weight /chicken diarrhoea

Started by caroline17 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 06:33
by Pretty Chick
xx
Wobbly chicken sat on her bum !

Started by Kwakali on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 22:24
by joyfull
xx
wobbly chicken

Started by bclampton on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2017, 10:07
by Sassy

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 35 queries.