vets bill

• 16 Replies

chook mother

vets bill
« on: June 10, 2010, 19:24 »
Have just had my chicken operated on for an impacted crop, she had had this for a while and it would not resolve itself, please can someone reasure me that I am not crazy to spend over £100 on a chicken I am so relived that she is now better that it was worth the money to relieve the stress factor and to see a happy chicken who actually laid an egg during the surgery!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: vets bill
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 20:15 »
trying to treat my pootles have cost me far more than this so no I don't think you are crazy, besides which what is the alternative? I believe we have a duty of care to our animals so it is either treat or cull and I would sooner treat if it is possible. Unfortunatly the other day I had to cull my little one that had a dislocated leg as its thigh kept jumping out of it's socket (the cup probably was to shallow at some point not allowing the ball to stay in place - not something I relished doing but no altrnative  :().
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 20:24 »
No chook mother your not mad, i paid £103 for one of my chooks to have her toe amputated, she is fine now, and 6 weeks ago hatched out 17 eggs, so i am so glad i took the chance with her.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 20:42 »
I think this was just going too far! :ohmy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6960334.stm

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 21:06 »
I must admit,  I wouldnt spend that much on one of my hens.... but can fully understand how you would feel if it were a special one :)

That said, my horse has had over 10k spent on his manky leg..... so may be I am madder than i thought :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 21:20 »
Chookiechook, i have just spent 7k on my dog!!!!!! We will all do what we can for our pets, he still has another hip replacement o go yet as well!!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 21:59 »
Hiya,
not mad at all. Have spent £100 on one of my chooks and have only had her since May-she is my favourite hen but don't think that influenced my decision.
Jane

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 13:57 »
Bearing in mind that children die everyday from lack of clean water and food, I do think we here in the privileged, developed West need to make our purchase decisions based on common humanity as well as humaneness.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 17:36 »
sorry but I don't see the relevance with your post henamoured, yes we do live in a privileged life but whilst soever we have animals in our care then we have a duty of care to look after them and ensure that they are not in pain whether that be to cull or treat as I know I would if I knew treatment would solve the problem. Are you saying that you wouldn't treat a chicken that was ill and in pain but would cull them and then send the money to the children abroad?

chook mother

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 17:51 »
update on chicken who had op on crop, I am so glad I had this done the chicken has had a new lease on life she is getting into all sorts of mischief im sure she feels so much better its a joy to see how she is behaving, its only money afterall

Curlytop

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 19:39 »
I am glad your chicken has survived her ordeal  :)

grumpydad

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 20:26 »
with losing so many and having autopsies done to find out why they died, my vets bills have been far in excess of what we paid for the chickens, we put ours down to a learning curve, hope the bank manager thinks the same.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 18:50 »
Sorry not to reply sooner Joyfull - been away.
Yes I suppose I am saying that I think there are lines to be drawn somethimes, hard though that can be.
Modern medicine makes so many treatments available but they do not always work, can put animals though a lot, which of course they don't understand, and can be hard to justify both on grounds of animal welfare and the moral use of our resources. All easily said I know from the outside when not the one attached to the animal.
It would be nice to think that if one decided not to spend this or that the money would be used elsewhere for good... suppose I'm a bit idealist.

Elcie

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 21:51 »
Sorry not to reply sooner Joyfull - been away.
Yes I suppose I am saying that I think there are lines to be drawn somethimes, hard though that can be.
Modern medicine makes so many treatments available but they do not always work, can put animals though a lot, which of course they don't understand, and can be hard to justify both on grounds of animal welfare and the moral use of our resources. All easily said I know from the outside when not the one attached to the animal.
It would be nice to think that if one decided not to spend this or that the money would be used elsewhere for good... suppose I'm a bit idealist.

Sorry henamoured, but I agree with your last five words only.  Yes we are privileged - you are using a computer whilst you read this - and we do what we can/wan't to to redress the balance.  However, stating that someone shouldn't spend money on an ill animal because children need the money is way too idealistic for me.  Have you not considered selling your computer and using the money for that and the internet connection that you are using to help those less fortunate?

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 23:16 »
Well I take your point but I still think that there are judgements to be made. 
I've taken my hens to the vet when necessary but don't think I could embark on a series of operations that would cost thousands - there I would draw a line.

xx
Should I take her to the vets?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 11:49
by joyfull
xx
Had to go to the vets

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 21:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hen with nasty eye infection / big vet bill - advice please?

Started by bigdavenorcott on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 23, 2011, 21:20
by Pixieswift
xx
Explaining Vet Bill to husband - help needed

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:39
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 40 queries.