HELP Vent Problem

• 7 Replies

simchooks

HELP Vent Problem
« on: December 06, 2009, 13:36 »
Hi,

I have recently started keeping chickens.  We got our girls 4 weeks ago and were told that they should start laying 4 weeks after we got them.  We have not had any eggs yet, but today I noticed one of them has what looks like a prolapsed vent.  She does not seem to be too bothered by it, but it looks bad to me and I'm not sure if it is egg related.  Can anyone advise.  Basically when she tries to poo, it looks like there is a red bulb shape sticking out (like the lining of her vent.  I have photos but I'm not sure if I have attached them OK, but could email them.  

Any help welcome.

edited to remove email address - foxy
Vent3.jpg
vent4.jpg
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 15:40 by Foxy »

Foxy

Re: HELP Vent Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 15:52 »
It is quite a small one, better off right now leaving alone. However, there may be an egg en route causing this. My advice would be a nice warm bath and completely emerse her in this for at least 30mins, while she is in there have a very,very gentle feel around her abdomen for any egg shaped lumps that would indicate she has a bit of trouble there. Good idea is to compare with your other hens to see what normal feels like first. ;)

Diet: this is important to get right in POL hens. No treats, good quality layers pellets and adlib access to oyster shell for the calcium she needs right now, limestone powder is also reccommended. If you do feel and egg, pop a dispersible calcium tablet in her drinking water for a couple of days and another warm bath in the morning to help relax those muscles.Handle her extremely carefully throughtout.
Calcium is important for good egg shell formation as well as supporting the muscles which are involved with the egg laying process. HTH  :)

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 20:34 »
Go with Foxy. Would add that you can give asprin to help any pain (dissolve in water and give via syringe) and a good, gentle massage seems acceptable - the purring tells you that you've done it properly. Keep warm, quiet and out of the light. If the vent looks clean and not so bad that you need the honey treatment for a prolapse, then a little Savlon on the surrounding skin will help soothe. Best of luck.

simchooks

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 20:49 »
Thanks for the replies.  What do you mean by the 'Honey Treatment'?

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 21:00 »
Thanks for the replies.  What do you mean by the 'Honey Treatment'?

Don't worry about that right now, follow the advice, it is more important to establish whether or not an egg is stuck en route ;)

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 23:25 »
 I agree with foxy, and keep it clean with just gentle warm water......it usually looks worse than she feels, :) tho it can become serious if left.  I'm afraid my tale of prolapse was lengthy, and had a negative outcome. :(
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

simchooks

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 11:32 »
Update:-  This morning I managed (eventually) to bathe her in warm water and inspected the vent afterwards.  It looked clean and healthy with no signs of yesterdays problem.  I rubbed in some preperation-H just in case.

We also had our first egg this morning (not sure if it came from her or one of the others), so I wonder if what I saw yesterday was due to a problem getting it out and hopefully now that it is out it will not re-occur.  I will however be keeping a close eye on her.

Thanks to all for the advise.

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:37 »
Hopefully she will be OK now, keep them on a balanced diet and I am sure she will be fine! :lol:

xx
A vent problem - can anyone help?

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 13:47
by helens-hens
xx
vent wet

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 13:56
by joyfull
xx
Wheres the vent

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 18:21
by janeheritage
xx
Vent but not a draft

Started by Rangerkris on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 18:08
by Raven81

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 28 queries.