carrots!!!

• 9 Replies

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
carrots!!!
« on: June 07, 2011, 22:21 »
brought a packet of Autumn king 2 today my 1st earlies have come out of my raised bed now so im planing to sow these in there place this week can i leave these in the ground all winter till needed and will they reach full size as im sowing them now!!!

Gandan57

Re: carrots!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 22:55 »
Now is the perfect time to sow maincrop carrots. I did mine a few days ago and will sow more seed this weekend.

A few years ago I left carrots in the ground thinking they would be OK bit they became frosted, so this year I intend to mulch them. I grow mine in a block and when the council deliver leaves in November I`ll put a thick layer on the carrots and cover with plastic.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:15 »
I've sown later than this and got good results, so I'm sure you'll be OK. I just leave mine in the ground and harvest as needed.

The frost didn't damage them last year, but at times they were impossible to get out of the ground, so this year I've sown some in deep pots to keep at home.

I'm not sure that covering in plastic is a good idea, as the roots will need to "breath".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:54 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31 »
I left mine in the ground too as advised by DD when I asked if they needed pulling and storing. They stayed lovely even through all the snow, but had to wait for it to melt to get to them so may go for a few buckets too this year. I have just sown my main crop and will get some more on the go at the weekend.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:48 »
One problem you get with leaving them in over winter is the slugs can eat the top of the carrot, but you just cut that bit off, also some go mushy where the rain gets in.
Paul

Gandan57

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 22:38 »
One problem you get with leaving them in over winter is the slugs can eat the top of the carrot, but you just cut that bit off, also some go mushy where the rain gets in.

I think it`s frost that causes mushyness. ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:04 »
They'll go even mushier if you go with your plan of covering them in plastic!

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:54 »
Wont they be OK if there`s a foot of leaves between carrot and plastic? I want to keep the rain off.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58 »
I sowed a load of Autumn King last year around the start of July and they were fine through the winter. I didnt fleece them over the winter months and there were no mushy ones.  In fact I pulled the last of them up around the start of March, by which time the carrots were growing "hairy" roots around them but they still tasted wonderful when peeled.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 17:02 »
i live in nottinghamshire and the farmers round here seem to grow alot of carrots, as the cold weather approaches in the autumn, they cover the rows with black plastic tightly tucked in  then mulch with about 2 foot of straw, this can be left for maybe 4 or 5 months before they uncover the crop, which always seem to come out ok. 

i walk my dogs over these fields so i usually see what goes on, i thought i might try that myself this year

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 14:23
by senrab_nhoj
xx
carrots

Started by chris1976 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 12:28
by Heather_S
xx
carrots

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 13:10
by DD.

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 34 queries.