whats best to clean old container with, noob question

• 11 Replies

tooo many seeds

i have an old plastic demijohn thingy from a few years back but my other half has used it for various liquids since not detergents or anything but i was wondering if this could live again with a nuclear type clean :D to remove some black marks inside.not done homebrew for 10 years but i want to try some fruit wines now i have an allotment.any ideas

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: whats best to clean old container with, noob question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 18:16 »
Mmmm don't know about plastic, but I used to clean my glass ones with broken eggshells in some water and keep swishing it about to remove any marks, then sterilise with the cheap milton type thing they use for baby bottles.

Someoen said once that bicarb was good, but I didn't rinse the demi john out well enough and the wine tasted horrible!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 19:14 »
Won't a normal wine-making steriliser do it? Perhaps with more than one wash?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tooo many seeds

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 19:21 »
Won't a normal wine-making steriliser do it? Perhaps with more than one wash?
maybe, i will give it a go,i just thought there maybe a revolutionary new kills/cleans everything stuff on the market  :D its got some black stuff that needs blasting big time.i will try soaking for a week twice see how it goes

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43 »
id just chuck it and use a 5l water bottle from the supermarket with a hole cut in the lid for bung/airlock at the end of the day is it really wort risking months of waiting only to find out that something dodgy (for the wine) has stayed in it

Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 17:02 »
Suggest you soak it with hot water and detergent overnight, then empty and put in a handful of gravel and a cup of water and give it a good shaking. Excellent exercise too.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

tooo many seeds

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 20:56 »
Suggest you soak it with hot water and detergent overnight, then empty and put in a handful of gravel and a cup of water and give it a good shaking. Excellent exercise too.
i will try that,although being a brickies labourer i dont need the excercise  :D

JohnB

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 15:43 »
i have an old plastic demijohn thingy from a few years back but my other half has used it for various liquids since not detergents or anything but i was wondering if this could live again with a nuclear type clean :D to remove some black marks inside.not done homebrew for 10 years but i want to try some fruit wines now i have an allotment.any ideas

Freecycle!! I have had about 20 glass demijohns two 5 gallon brewing containers and all the paraphernalia that goes with it of freecycle. People take up brewing for a few years and soon loose interest so there tons out there. Also if you look on Ebay and therefore in the shops you will find plastic demijohns which have an inbuilt cork with hole for an air lock they are very cheap. I have not seen them with full seals not sure if they come that way? Either way I use them in-between IE next racking goes into glass demis. Hope that’s helpful JB

Artie

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 17:51 »
It sounds horrible, but it works - put about half an inch of neat weak bleach in the bottom, and swirl it around till it has touched every surface. It cuts through the discolouration and kills bugs too. Then rinse THOROUGHLY with clean water and leave upside down to dry.

This works fine on glass - not sure I'd try it on plastics, though, in case it left a taste.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 18:37 »

I use a BIG bottle brush fixed to an electric drill.    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 20:34 »
Some of the suggestions are a little abrasive for plastic in my opinion, scratches in the plastic are a haven for germs and bacteria. As has been suggested i would chuck it, if you really want to keep it and sanitise it try iodophor.

tooo many seeds

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:51 »
Some of the suggestions are a little abrasive for plastic in my opinion, scratches in the plastic are a haven for germs and bacteria. As has been suggested i would chuck it, if you really want to keep it and sanitise it try iodophor.
its gone now i'm scared to death by it  :lol: use it,clean it, chuck it, :lol:got some glass demijohns sparkling bright  :) thanks for all your comments it helped to make up my mind 8)

xx
Total Noob sediment question

Started by neil1967 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 12:22
by greenun
xx
container question

Started by tooo many seeds on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 07:45
by mike1987
xx
Whats in our brewhouse

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 21:29
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Whats clearing in the kitchen.

Started by Lardman on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 04:58
by Growster...

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.