Greenhouse shading

• 4 Replies

Blackpool rocket

Greenhouse shading
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:56 »
Hi all, is bubble wrap any good as greenhouse shading?
We have a very small unit 6 x 2 alloy frame polymer panels. It's very sturdy.
I would fix the wrap on the outside, not over the whole thing, just where it gets afternoon sun.
I have begonias in there which aren't too happy with the direct sun, the leaves are getting a bit scorched.

Br

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse shading
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 12:57 »
It tends to disintegrate quite quickly, unless it's the one actually made for greenhouses. I tend to use it only in winter for frost protection, as I find that any odd leftover bits of debris netting make better shading.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 17:13 »
Thanks mum,
The 2 pieces I'll use are only about 1200 x 500 (4' x 20" in old money) and 500 x 500
It only has to last a few weeks and is easily replaced, I use it in my workshop, so it's at hand & I don't have to go out hunting it down.
It was more about it's efficacy at creating shade and protecting the plants from the sun.

Br

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 20:39 »
we use a green net shading possibly the same as they use on poly tunnels we find its  protect against the UV rays even begonias seem protected as do most plants on the benches I have used white liquid shading but I found that to messy and cleaning of the glass was time consuming

I fixed green shading on the interior of one greenhouse and on the exterior of the second one now I always removed the shading before winter on the exterior  and then replaced it back in spring but last year I left it on all winter I think we paid around Ģi.30 per- M' I found there was no difference using the shading on the interior or exterior the only downside was the exterior shading needs fixing down tight as I can blow of if its very windy

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 14:56 »
Both last year and this year the hot spells we have had has caused issues in the greenhouse, indeed this year over the site it has been a real issue and although we are at the end of August I cannot remember seeing as many greenhouses empty!
I am now having a major re-think about the greenhouses, shading, irrigation etc to hopefully have a belting year despite what mother nature throws at us.
In the past I have used debris netting but temps still reached 40c+ so the plan...

Cut the debris netting in 2 feet widths to fit into each panel lengths and secure (between the frames) This will make it a little easier should we have plenty of dull days to increase light levels as each section can then be rolled up.

Take out one section of glass (two panels) on the shadey side, fit cross sections to the frame to maintain the frames rigidity and build a replacement panel that can be opened in sections as and when the temps increase to allow better airflow rather than louvre type vents.
After reading a paper on growing tomatoes and optimised watering by Ohio uni I am now altering the irrigation system/ watering regime with the use of a moisture meter so I am not over watering as may of been the case with the hot temps.

I hopefull these three improvements will maintain better cooler conditions for tommys to grow and produce better crops.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
greenhouse shading

Started by rowlandwells on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 08:11
by DD.
xx
Greenhouse Shading

Started by jane0o0 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 20:48
by AnneB
xx
greenhouse shading?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 22:11
by razzmick
xx
Greenhouse shading

Started by vanessa.xx on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 12:54
by Optimistic Gardener

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.