Garlic lying down

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Garlic lying down
« on: May 20, 2011, 13:26 »
I planted two sorts of garlic last autumn, Iberian White and Marco. The Marco got off to a storming start and put up plenty of growth before winter, whereas the Iberian White didn't really start going till the spring. I now have a row of very strong sturdy looking Iberian White, but all the Marco looks quite feeble. A couple of them have strong and sturdy stems, but most of them are spindly and the majority of them are lying down rather than standing up, although they do still look green and healthy.

I've been watering them and giving them BFB once a month, and there's no weeds around them. In any case, if it was environmental I don't see why the Iberian White would be looking so good because they're right next to each other. So what on earth could be causing this?

bigben

Re: Garlic lying down
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 13:53 »
Were they both from proper seed garlic or were they supermarket garlic. If so it could be a type that is not suited for our weather. I planted a few types last year some from the supermarket to save money and I found they did not perform very well.

If they are both from proper seed garlic then like you I am stumped as to what it causing it.

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 15:32 »
my (january planted) Marco garlic is behaving similarly. after a great start (in raised bed with protection (old cold frame without a lid) it's ground to a holt and now looks very pathetic, especially contrasted with the other overwintered garlic i planted.

perhaps it's just not a great variety for the UK?

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 15:37 »
Have a little dig around 1 of the plants and see if a bulb is forming. If it is i wouldn't worry. Mine are just swelling now and the bulb is twice the size of a spring onion although the foliage does not look that great.

xx
Sweet corn lying flat

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 22:45
by Swing Swang
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 39 queries.