Soft every day

• 8 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
Soft every day
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:06 »
Every day for quite a while now we get a soft egg and although we are not 100% sure we think it's  from our oldest hen - although at just over two I suppose is not that old for a chicken - no sign of lethargy or anything in her behaviour - she's free range with plenty of grit......does this often happen in 'older 'birds?
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

kegs

Re: Soft every day
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48 »
You mention grit but does she have access to oyster shell?  It's the oyster shell that will increase the calcium levels along with Vitamin D3 (cod liver oil) which will help her absorb the calcium.  I was told to try Vit K and spinach for my chicken but I haven't done yet so I can't say whether it works.  Good luck.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:09 »
It happens and if the bird is ok I wouldn't worry too much.  Ostrea is the oyster shell grit which is available from good pet shops

Is she's free ranging she should have a varied diet but I would offer brassicas regularly.  Mine really liked brocolli and cabbage, which can keep them entertained for ages  :)

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39 »
The oyster shell is mixed in with the grit so she shold be getting enough - however will try the other suggetions just to see.   :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 00:32 »
I used to give mine lots of fresh greens which I grew for them. They also liked courgettes, grated carrot, kale, and beetroot leaves went down a storm  :)  They'd eat up cucumber too but not too much. Tomatoes were another fave

There are treatments available and I think one of the more successful ones is mentioned in the Stickies section hereabouts. I think it's called Avipro Plus  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 00:59 »
I too have a chook who is 3 in January and she lays a soft egg nearly every day. She has been a wonderful layer for most of her life and I'm sure it's an age thing.
You can eat the soft eggs if they're whole but unfortunately she lays at night and they slip through the rungs and split.
Such a shame to have to chuck them.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26 »
This occurs commonly in older hens particularly ex batts and hybrids.   Their intensive laying lives catch up with them eventually.  Two years old isn't a particularly advanced age particularly for a pure breed. Pure breeds which haven't been as intensive layers cope better and will go on laying longer.

Try the extra calcium in the form of oystershell and a cod liver oil supplement (Vit D2) for around two weeks but if there's no improvement there's little point in continuing.

Improving hydration can sometimes help and you can try an electrolyte in her drinking water for two weeks followed by a multivitamin.  I've posted the recipe for a home made electrolyte several times which you might be able to find if you search for it otherwise I can look it out again.  Antibiotics such as Baytril may also help but if the problem is as a result of damage any improvement how ever achieved might prove short term.

Sometimes such problems are as a result of damage sustained from past infections and there's little that can be done. 

One danger with soft eggs is that she has difficulty passing them and they can lead to internal laying which can set up an internal infection called Egg Yolk Peritonitis which often can be fatal.  You need to watch her for any deterioration.
HF
Truth through science.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18 »
Yes that's what happened to one of my girls. We sorted her out successful once but the condition did recur and I had to have her put to sleep. She was a brown hybrid

crh75

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06 »
It happened to one of ours when she was in moult, after she was fine again.

Also, have I remembered correctly that worms can cause soft shell?

xx
soft egg help

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 18:19
by andy46
xx
soft egg

Started by treecol on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 09:14
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Soft egg

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 08:23
by ali2
xx
Am I soft?

Started by ness on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 20:01
by ness

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 38 queries.