Plants on sale at my local garden centre - would I just be wasting my money?

• 8 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
I'd love to grow Asparagus as it is something we have just started eating in the last year or so, and when I was wandering round the local garden centre yesterday I saw they had a couple of sale that were at the 2 year mark.  I thought that was good as it cuts out the wasted years of waiting, which I know is not in the spirit of things, but I don't want to have to wait for years if I can help it!  However I'm not sure if it's actually any good and wondered if any of the knowledgable people on here could tell me?

Here's a piccy:

Similarly they had several summer fruiting raspberry plants, which I assume need to be chopped down, but I am not certain, as the tops of the canes look green and healthy, but the lower parts look quite woody.  Again here is a piccy:

If they are no good, just say so and I'll stop entertaining the shortcut!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 15:41 by Paulj »

savbo

re asparagus - depends how much they are...I paid about a pound each for a dozen crowns 2 years ago. They were about 2' across, so how strong are 2-year crowns in pots going to be? But if they're flogging them off for a quid then it'd be worth considering...

Had a dozen spears this year, which worked out as about a tenth of the ones each crown produced - but in year 3 I think we're going to have loads. I think you're not going to be saving a full year with these pot-grown ones, as they'll need a year to settle in anyway

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
If those are summer fruiting raspberries, they don't needing chopping down -- these are the canes that will fruit next summer.

It is autumn fruiting ones that yu would cut off, about February 
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

Definitely go for the asparagus. Once they get some growing space, they'll burst out with growth next spring. Add some sharp sand to your asparagus area for good drainage, and a bit of lime which is what asparagus prefers. I also added some old manure and blood, fish and bonemeal for good measure.

Salmo

Once asparagus is established it will produce about 7/8 spears per plant between April and 21st June when you should stop cutting. So you will need 15/20 plants to give a decent picking each week.

Before you buy compare prices with Suttons, Marshalls etc. I bought some from a producer called something like Kent Asparagus who sell direct on line and they were excellent.

If you do decide to buy these I would wait for the tops to die off before planting. They will need cutting off when they do. In fact you might be better to leave them in their pots until early Spring to plant. Next Spring you should stop harvesting three weeks after the first spears appear, or may be not harvest at all.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Thanks everyone. I might just pop there tomorrow when I get a chance and give them both a go in the garden first. I think from memory the asparagus was only a couple of pounds if that.

Re the raspberries, they are summer fruiting and I thought those canes would be next years but one of the assistants at the garden centre said she would chop them down. For a couple of pounds again it's worth a punt!

Salmo

I have studied the raspberry photo and it looks like a tall old cane which needs cutting down and a short new cane which will produce next years fruit. If this is so the plant has had a tough time as the new cane should be as high as the old one. Probably lack of water.

JayG

• Global Moderator
I would at least double Salmo's estimate of 7-8 asparagus spears per plant per season when they are fully established, although in my case that took nearer 6 years than 3 from 1 year old crowns.

The best of my plants crop over an area of around 2 feet in diameter, and the root tips are currently believed to be sunbathing on Bondi beach!  8)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JohnB47

If you buy the raspberry plants, check each stem carefully for signs of old fruit husks. If you see any on any stem you can cut that one down. If you don't see any, leave it as this stem will give you fruit next year. If you're not sure, I'd say leave it.

xx
The local garden centre says ...

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 18:24
by Quetzal
xx
repotting reduced strawberry plants from garden centre

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 07:55
by little sweetpeas
xx
good garden centre near Hay on Wye?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:13
by JohnB47
xx
Garden centre allotments

Started by woodsmoke on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 39 queries.