oh no! what have I done? can anyone help? Derbyshire Redcaps

• 3 Replies

Sandy

can anyone help with my poultry question...

I have thought about keeping chickens for years, after much research and back ache errecting my new poultry suite - I finally bought 3 hens last week. I was delighted with the eggs and decided that I would get a few more. Soooo... yesterday I went to Derby livestock auction and I picked up a pair of Aracauna's and a pair of "Derbyshire Redcap htch 07".

Although it didn't state whether they were hens or cocks, I assumed they would be hens.... now I'm not so sure! I may have been naive to think that a breeder wouldn't be as cruel to sell on 2 cocks to unknowing & unwitting buyers but the fact no one but me bid on them should have set the alarm bells ringing really. I guess it was too late by then anyway   :(

So I wonder if any one has any advice - they are both making cheeping noises as if they were still chicks so I guess they are still really young (htch 07?) If they are cocks then does anyone have any suggestions what I should do with them? Otherwise, if anyone wishes to collect a handsome Derbyshire Redcap from me they would be more then welcome (not for the cookig pot though please!). I live 10 mins from J25 on the M1  :oops:

Parrot

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:32 »
I am no expert but if I was to hazard a guess looking at the picture I would say that the animals in the picture were young cocks.   The ends of the feathers on the nape of the necks look pointed rather than the rounded feathers of a hen, I could well be wrong though!
Spring into Action with BTCV - 1 May - 7 June 2007. www.btcv.org/springintoaction
Help look after your local wildlife and green space - hundreds of fun and friendly eco-events across the UK.

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 14:37 »
You got yourself two, nice young cock birds there.

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 20:24 »
oh no... :(

anyone interested in a handsome young derbyshire redcap cock? free to a good home...  :roll:

xx
Any Bantams for sale in Derbyshire?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 10:06
by conventgirl
xx
offer: Derbyshire Redcap cock

Started by Sandy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 09:44
by Sandy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.