Matilda attacked by dog

• 4 Replies

lady googoo

Matilda attacked by dog
« on: September 09, 2012, 17:07 »
My neighbour's dog came into my garden and attacked my free ranging chicken Matilda. She has had all her tail and most of her breast feathers pulled out, has a wound on her back and a bigger wound on her breast. She has survived three days so far and seems to be getting perkier. I have her in isolation, indoors with a mosquito net over her cage to prevent fly-blow. I have been bathing and spraying her wounds with septi-cleanse and she has had nutri-drops for three days.
She is standing, her eyes and comb look bright and today she ate some pellets, some corn and after laying a broken egg, has eaten that as well. I'm still not holding out much hope, although there is no sign of infection and she is standing and looking around and burbling to me when I go into her room. Her body stance is quite perky even. Also, her droppings seem normal with no foam or blood. A new problem which has just occurred is that the top layer of her upper beak seems to be coming off just below the nostrils and has gone grey/white. Her beak was a shiny black earlier today. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Also, do you think she stands a chance or should I have her put down, she doesn't seem to be suffering, but if there is no hope of recovery I need to end it sooner rather than later.
I am quite new to chickens so would appreciate any support you can offer. Thanks.

compostqueen

Re: Matilda attacked by dog
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 21:28 »
I think a trip to the vet would have been a good idea as she could have had antibiotics and pain killer.  You could still take her to find out about the beak as she will be hard pressed to cope if it gets worse.  The sooner she gets sorted out the quicker she can get back to the rest of the flock  :)  A list of recommended poultry vets (by the forum users) is on the Stickies thread hereabouts  :)

My hen had a deformed beak which had to be sorted out by the vet. When she had it clipped they would give it a buffing up and a polish and she looked grand  :D

kegs

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58 »

She is standing, her eyes and comb look bright and today she ate some pellets, some corn and after laying a broken egg, has eaten that as well. ..... she is standing and looking around and burbling to me when I go into her room. Her body stance is quite perky even. Also, her droppings seem normal .

.... should I have her put down, she doesn't seem to be suffering....

A trip to the vet would be a good idea so he can check her wounds but from what you say above it sounds as if she is recovering very well from her ordeal.  I wouldn't put her down especially as you say she getting perkier.

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 23:18 »
i also had the same problem two weeks ago. when hearing lots of noise i went outside to find a neighbour's dog in my garden with a chuck in his mouth, luckily once caught he didnt know what to do with her and dropped her when i shouted, she had lost a lot of tail feathers and hid in the garden, after a couple of hours she was back to her cheeky self and didnt even miss a day laying!

sounds like i was much luckier than you.  i do wish dog owners were more careful!!
1 blue belle, 1 brown ranger and 1 white sussex :)

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 20:21 »
Is MAtilda still doing well?? I have just posted as the same happened to me today, but my chicks wondered into the neighbours garden! Im hoping mine pick up too!

xx
Matilda

Started by Louise on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2008, 12:47
by Louise
xx
Bit worried about matilda

Started by Louise on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 19:32
by slowef
xx
hen attacked by the other hen

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:32
by ANHBUC
xx
Help please - our old hen has been attacked

Started by heatherhsp on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 12:09
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.