Well summers

• 8 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
Well summers
« on: June 20, 2009, 20:43 »
Hi guys

I bought 4 point of lay hens (well summers) the other day and today they layed their first two eggs.  However they were a carky green colour, and one had a really soft shell.  I was suprised at the colour of the eggs as when I have seen wellsummer eggs before they have been brown but these are an awful dirty drark green egg.  (not that colour matters to me but I know what my customers are like! lol)  I called the breeder and she said she has another 40 who all lay the same coloured egg? has anyone else had this?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Well summers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 21:39 »
Are you sure they really are welsummers ?  Could they be hydrids ?

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 21:41 »
they look like well summers and the women said they were pure breeds so im lost lol

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 21:44 »
You could post a picture for us.  We have members on here who have welsummers.

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 21:51 »
Hi havent got a digi camera but will ask around to see if someone can lend me one.  I have searched well summers etc and there the same,  I even sent it off to a well summer breeder who said he was 99.9% sure they were well summers

murrowcoopy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 23:45 »
I breed pure welsummers and have never had a green egg
they lay a medium dark BROWN egg
it seems you have some sort of crossed birds
the soft shell is common in hens just starting to lay and you will get a variety of sizes untill they settle to a normal egg size, just make sure they have a good supply of grit

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 00:58 »
You have been had I'm afraid. Welsummers (so named as the originated in the village of Welsum in the Netherlands) are layers of dark brown eggs.

Yours must of had a blue egg layer bred into it somewhere along the lines, my guess is it's been crossed with crested cream legbar.
If a bird has both the brown and blue egg laying genes the eggs come out green.

Pure bred welsumemrs lay dark brown eggs it's part and parcel of the breed. Take them back and get your money back and tell the breeder they need to look up the breed standard before trying to con folk!

A pic below, bad light but you get the picture. The brown ones are what a welsummer egg should look like:)

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 00:30 »
in my opinion..........i have a feeling they have been xbred with an arucana at some point then bred back to wellies .. they definaly are not welsummers .the eggs of wellies are a deep mahogany colour when the birds are 100% pedigree . any slight tonal variation from this  is due to  inbreeding of the same strain . you should seek a new cockerel for all true breeds from a clearly non related source of at least 4 generations . my own collection of wellies ( 180 birds which i unfortunatly let go) was brought into being with 4 cockerals and 40 hens   10 hens one cockerel from 4 different sources in england and wales formed 4 seperate groups which i bred together to get solid gene pool from each group retaining this group genetically intact keeping only the best 2 hens and cockerel.
 the nucleus cockerals where then taken and swapped over  with a batch of the other hens  thus creating  4 new gene pools / which i then selected new stock from culling out and eating the rubbish .

still alive /............

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:44 »
just got given a couple of welly bantam chicks, I am converted they are lovely!! :D

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 32 queries.