attacked hen

• 7 Replies

scott bell

attacked hen
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:39 »
Hi I'm a new member an need some help please!!
One of our hens laid an egg en blood was smeared on the shell but she was fine.  A few hours later  our other 2 hens were attacking her an were covered in blood.  It looks like she has a prolapse and the hens were pecking at it causing quite a bit of blood loss. We cleaned her up and removed her from the eglu.  Two days on she is well an eating an seems fine.  Her underneath looks red and plucked, the prolapse seems to have gone back although there is still a flap which was pecked by the other chickens it looks like its healing.  Can anyone advise if and when I can put her back in the eglu with the other two!  Please help me!
scott

compostqueen

attacked hen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 14:32 »
Aunt Sal or G Annie will be along shortly and they'll be able to tell you so hang in there

Doesn't sound very good does it.  Poor girl  :(

Vember

attacked hen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 14:42 »
Hate to say this but from other posts I've seen on here the feeling is if it's prolapsed before it may happen again :(

Has she laid again since???

Welcome to the Hen House by the way :)

mumsy

attacked hen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 15:06 »
Have you kept her within distance of the others?, so they are used to her when you do hopefully put them together.............hope she gets better soon..................
& Welcome  from me too :wink:

muntjac

attacked hen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:27 »
smear vasaline on her butt with a lubricated finger and just ease your finger in pushing back any tissue .spray purple spray on it and let her be for a day or 2 then reintroduce her by letting her roam around the eglu til they are comfy with her then let them all out to raom with some treats  :wink:
still alive /............

scott bell

attacked hen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 22:17 »
Hi everyone thanks for your replies  :lol: Our Hen is doing ok she eating and looks well enough.  She roaming free in the garden every day and walks round the eglu all the time.  Every morning she sits on top of the house so  I close it off from the other chickens and let her sit in the nest box, which she does for half an hour but she hasn't laid now for 3 days.  Her bum is looking better I have been putting vasaline on the area since the attack.  The damaged skin seems to be healing but I don't think it will go back inside as it's been pecked away from the tight skin of her bum!  I did ring our local vet but they won't see her as they said they wouldn't be confident to treat her as they don't deal with chickens  :(
Can you please advise where I can buy purple spray from?

Thanks

mumsy

attacked hen
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 22:41 »
Any horsie supply shop............glad she is getting better

scott bell

attacked hen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 22:52 »
Cheers for that mumsy will get purple spray tomorrow and see how things go - will keep you posted in case I need more advice  :lol:

xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay
xx
My hen's been attacked too

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 00:25
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Help please - our old hen has been attacked

Started by heatherhsp on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 12:09
by compostqueen
xx
hen attacked by the other hen

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.