Slow geraniums...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Slow geraniums...
« on: August 28, 2021, 11:57 »
We always have a show of these in hanging baskets, trays etc, and keep as many for the following year as we have room for. The idea is that they start to bloom much earlier than the 'new season' ones, and this year they've done us proud!

But the plug plants we bought online (can't remember who - probs Gardening Direct), are really struggling still! I've just fed them, as they're mainly in plain compost, but usually they're all over the place by now!

Anybody else had this to deal with?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Slow geraniums...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 13:51 »

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 14:17 »
Oh heck, Aunty...

They're 'Geranium Fire Queen' and we bought them as plug plants from Gardening Direct earlier this year!

So now I've just re-started the great disaster haven't I...:0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 14:58 »
Growster, I got the same ones from Gardening Direct as they always supply superb plug plants. Despite me potting them on then keeping them in my greenhouse until ready, they really didn't like this year's weather one bit. Apart from the odd one that took until now to produce a flower stem they've not done very well this summer, but most are now producing flowers instead of little stems with just buds on. I also got some regal pelargoniums that were also struggling to get going, then I planted them in a big tub with some pansies and they were brilliant. I've just given them a bit of foliar feed to encourage them to do the biz until they reach the end of their performance this year. I'm wondering if it's worth taking cuttings for next year or just buy some new ones; probably the latter.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 18:16 »
Identical situation, Goosey, despite you being far too far away!

Long flower stems, struggling to get the buds going etc., and soon, they'll just say *** it, and I'll have to decide what to do next! The foliage has taken on a lot of colour though, lots of shades of red, brown, yellow etc, so it's not all bad!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 13:57 »
I have had trouble with mine as well.  From the local g/centre, and my own girls as well.  The G/centre ones have grown very tall, lots of foliage and stems about 10 inches long.   I have been regularly feeding with seaweed feed, but only into the container, not onto the foliage.  A couple of times I have given them a few grains of Miracle Grow, multi-purpose.  Perhaps you are supposed to mix the latter, but I water them thoroughly instead.  I had one odd one which I planted in the flower bed, this has done better with no nothing.   I wonder if I am doing it wrong, as the leaves are beginning to go yellow, so I pick those off.  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 11:21 »
Some of mine have yellow/red leaves too despite watering and feeding. I seem to have this problem with this type of geranium so I don't think I'll bother growing them again and will stick with the Regal and trailing ones in the future.

xx
Geraniums

Started by casper on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 02:18
by dmg
xx
Geraniums

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 02:33
by robbodaveuk
xx
Geraniums - when to take cuttings?

Started by Nogger on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 10:02
by mrs bouquet
clip
What is this happening on geraniums ?

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 21:59
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 46 queries.