Large 700L Water Butt Splitting - Any Ideas How I Can Reuse?

• 15 Replies

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
I purchased one of these in Feb 2007 (http://www.simplywaterbutts.co.uk/Larger-Water-Tanks.html) from a company bought out by Crocus, and would you believe it, it is splitting underneath - 1 year past the manufacturers guarantee, grrr!

I feel the need to recycle it in some way - any ideas? 

I am so gutted that it is splitting, I can't think what else to do with it - I am only really initially worrying about emptying it before it gushes out and floods the patio and garden!

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 22:28 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Large 700L Water Butt Splitting - Any Ideas How I Can Reuse?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 22:54 »
Lovely butt Angela!   :lol: :lol:

Seems a shame to waste it.  How big is the split?  When I had a split in my water butt, which admittedly is smaller than yours, I had some epoxy like stuff called milliput that I use for repairs to my lilliput lane cottages.

I spread it over the crack, and tried to push as much as I could through the split and that must have been around 2007 and its still watertight.

I know there are other things on the market for repairing things like water pipes etc.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 23:32 »
Have you tried say a puncher kit for boats?
Kind Regards
Bill

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 16:42 »
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.  Sorry I haven't been online - I have been making the most of the sunshine on the plot!

So, I have taken pictures of one of the splits.  I have no idea if there are any more splits underneath and won't know until I drain the tank down.  I luckily have a water pump, so I have started this activity now.

I might well try to repair it - and then put it on a more substantial stand with a flatter top made of cement blocks, as the current bodged together stand is clearly causing too much pressure on these areas (the stand for this particular water butt was over £100!).

Perhaps some resin based filler as you guys have suggested might do the trick.  I might take a wander to the marine supplies shop tomorrow...

I certainly can't afford to replace it, that's for sure!

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 18:16 »
I managed to patch up one damaged water butt with epoxy and skytex patches, but another one that had significant damage was beyond repair and now earns its keep as a pegged down rhubarb forcing tub with a black plastic sack to avoid light getting in through the rather extensive apertures etc and a robust anti-gale tethering arrangement.  Works brilliantly.   

(Actually the damage was caused through using them as containers when transporting a load of donated hoss muck in the car.  Too heavy to lift in and out full so filled in situ then tilted and to partially empty out until light enough to lift out on arrival home, using nice shiny and sharp steel spade with which to shovel the shtuff.  Spade + plastic water butts = aertex plastic water butts.  Duh...)
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Stree

I wonder if fibreglass would adhere to that plastic........

Taff the Welder

Try a soldering iron, the bigger the tip the better. It looks like Polypropylene and the material looks thick enough to take the heat.  Work in small circles, blend over the cracks and beware of the fumes.  You’ll need to support the base better when it’s done.

Growster...

Angela, you could try the white mastic you get for caulking plastic windows, baths etc! You'll need a gun to apply it as well, but they're pretty cheap! Make sure the butt is totally dry as well!

They used to do a smaller version of the stuff, with enough for just one bath, so that may be your answer, as you don't need a gun, just a strong thumb, as it's in a style of syringe!

B and Q have all this, and it'll cost about a tenner I think!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 14:06 by Growster... »

fatcat1955

Fibre glass matting with the resin on top is the way to go. Mastic, soldering iron's etc are stop gap's. Fibre glass used correctly will be stronger than the tank itself.

Agatha

If fixing it doesn't work, you could recycle as a compost bin - I have several broken waterbuts & rubbish bins that I use for my compost - remove the base then use as a normal compost bin - people keep telling me this won't work, but I still get several binfulls of good compost every year, so I'm not sure what exactly is not working...
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
Well, I have drained down the beast and have picked up some marine filler suitable for re-enforced plastic.  I will tackle when I return from holiday next weekend and post an update then.  Thanks all!

Agatha

You do realise that having an unusable waterbutt is guaranteed to ensure lots of rain in your area this week  :lol:

Growster...

Nice one Agatha!   ;0)

We're just north of Hastings, and it rained for an hour before lunch!

Mind you, we were trying to do some external painting so, paaaaaaah....

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
I filled the car with 3.5m floorboards, got stuck in traffic on the way to the plot and the heavens opened. I'd mind less if my car wasn't an MX-5....  ::)

angelavdavis

• An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
You are so right Agatha!  Surbie, you are as bad as me - I filled my Peugeot 308CC with second hand drainpipes and guttering I got via freecycle - Mark went ballistic!  I did tell him that it was probably better to get me a pickup lorry, rather than a convertible car, but there is no telling some people!

xx
Water butt pump via 12v - any ideas ?

Started by mark.carline on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 23:39
by pumpkinpatch
xx
A blue water butt with a lid (uses and ideas)

Started by Beetroot queen on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 08:26
by Beetroot queen
xx
water butt lid

Started by andyf75 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 16:58
by Annen
xx
Help with water butt

Started by wizzywig27 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:45
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.