green house what to grow???

• 9 Replies

lisa80

green house what to grow???
« on: June 01, 2009, 20:12 »
hello have just aquired an10x8 green house and was wondering if it is too late to grow anything from seed?  have some toms and peppers but have alot of space to fill and would like to get some use out of it before next year .any ideas????

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: green house what to grow???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:14 »
I think its a bit late for seed for other things - how about plants from your local garden centre?

Melon, Cucumber, Aubergine, Chillies.  Some Leaf Beet in the Autumn for over winter, maybe some dwarf french beans then too?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:36 »
Not too late for courgette, squash/pumpkin (v big pots or in border) ridge type cucumbers will still crop in time, they all grow very fast from seed at this time of year :)
Later you can sow endive, winter lettuce, mizuna and corn salad for salad all through the winter.

lisa80

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:48 »
many thanks for replys will get some cucumber plants i think and do have some all year round lettuce to try.

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:06 »
Get some Spinach Beet (Perpetual Spinach) and sow it September ish for an almost all year round crop, I used fish boxes with about 4 inches of compost in, but almost any container will do. I cropped mine all through last winter, it slowed a bit during the really short days but not by that much.

Bob

lisa80

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:10 »
funnily enough i bought some spinach beet seeds but wasnt sure what to do with it!!!will try it now tho do u eat it just boiled like you would other veg?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18 »
Cook the leaves like spinach - i.e. you need to pick a bucket full for a single portion :D

Stalks can be steamed

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32 »
We got more use out of it by adding it to things like bolognese sauce at the last minute. You can only OVER cook this stuff, never under cook.

Bob

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41 »
many thanks, might try a variety of plants this year and will make bigger effort with seeds next year.when do u all start planting for green house? i had small lean to and started some things off at end of feb, but have noticed  some  peoples plants were a lot bigger than mine ie toms etc did they start earlier? im new to this so just did what it said  on packets and did get some good results.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:54 »
For Toms and Cues I start them indoors in February, move to my (unheated, but well sheltered) conservatory and then on to my Cold Greenhouse around mid May.

I make sure that they are kept above 10C - so I bring them into the house, from the conservatory, if the temperature looks like dropping lower.

In case of interest I have a spreadsheet for planning crops, and recording dates etc. details here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34306.msg411041#msg411041

and there is a sowing/harvesting chart on this site here:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

xx
what to grow in a green house now?

Started by lotstodo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 21:38
by Elcie
xx
GREEN HOUSE

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 22:05
by agapanthus
xx
green house?

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 10:13
by TINTIN
xx
Green house help

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 20:41
by DD.

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 41 queries.