Olive and her brood

• 5 Replies

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
Olive and her brood
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:10 »
Hi all,

Our little Olive has done a grand job and we have 8 little chicks that she is caring for really well. The other 'big' girls are a little unsure and have been to check out the new arrivals and not a spot of nastiness. We open the maternity ward in the morning so Olive can have a good stretch and poop and they wander all over the main run which is about 20' x 40', but never stray far from Mom. Now am I being daft or can you start to recognise the different clucks she makes!  ???  I'm sure I know the 'get your backside here now!' cluck  :lol:

Hopefully you should see a picture of them all below; 1 brown (Menorcan - so I'm told but I know he/she should be black), 2 white/yellow and 5 black and white. No idea what sort 7 of them are, hopefully mostly hens.
Olive and  babies (3a).jpg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:34 by Tazzy »

carolbriar

Re: Olive and her brood
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12 »
They are so cute. :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:19 »
They're lovely Tazzy  :D. I love Olive too though  :) :lol:
All lives are precious.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:33 »
Thanks folks - I spend too much time watching them (not between 3pm and 5pm on Sunday 27th though  :D). They are so adventurous, even sneaking through the gaps in the wire to get into the field, but they only go a couple of paces before coming back. Keeping my eye on the local rook/jackdaw neighbours though  :(. Mind you, they don't normally come anywhere near the big girls, but they are a bit of a concern.

Mommy Olive is so tolerant of us handling them. I try to have each one in the palm of my hand for a couple of seconds each day whilst still near Olive so that they get used to being handled at an early age. Hope none of you more experienced chick handlers don't tell me off for this :)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:33 »
Oh Tazzy, they are gorgeous!  What a good mum Olive has proved to be  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 17:29 »
Thanks. Can't believe just how quickly they grow!  :blink: Only 5 or 6 days old at best and their flight feathers are already being produced. And how fast they are! Can only liken them to large ants with the speed they move at. Anyone any idea of how long before I can sex them? And how?  ???

clip
Summers first brood 9/10

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

24 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 17:53
by ANHBUC
xx
Awww, what a big brood!

Started by Caralou on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 20:18
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.