Eggs in incubator....

• 113 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Eggs in incubator....
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:19 »
We have 6 eggs in the incubator and today is day 5 and I can see activity going on in all 6. Thankfully I have another few weeks to get organised but I have a few questions that you maybe able to answer before I go off and do some research.
I know that once they hatch they can stay in the incubator for 24 hours, we have a large container and a brooder where they can stay but when can I start to move them outside? I know how big the get and just wonder how long I can contain them indoors!

We will get a rabbit hutch and run of some sort until they can go in the big coop .
We have chick crum, feeder and drinker ( but may just use jam jar lids to start with).
Are there any good web sites that will give me more info ( apart from here  :D). We have had chicks hatch before but it was all done by the hen!
And we have a friend who rescues unwanted hens and cockerels so the boys will go to him and possibly a friend, am expecting to get only one, two if lucky, hens out of 6 I guess :(
At least they will go to a lovely home
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

kegs

Re: Eggs in incubator....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17 »
It sounds as if you've got it all sorted! 

A few points that spring to mind:

Don't candle too much however tempting as you could damage the eggs.
Don't forget to stop the rocker of your incubator at day 18 (unless you are turning by hand) and increase the humidity.
Have you got the heat source organised?  Either an electric hen or a heat lamp.  Make sure you check it out before the chicks hatch so it's at the correct height for the right temperature.
A good book to keep for reference is Katie Thear's A guide to Incubating and Hatching
I only have chicks in the house for max 10 days before I can no longer stand the amount of dust they produce, so they then get moved into a large brooder in our garage for a few weeks because they still need a heat source.  How will you provide heat when they are in the rabbit hutch and run?
Change over gradualy to growers pellets at 6-8 weeks.
You could always eat the cockerels?  I've just hatched 13 chicks and think there are 10 cockerels in there but at least the freezer will be well stocked!  ;)

A good thread for anything I've forgotten is here.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52422.0

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 14:11 »
Hi Kegs, thanks for the reply.
I have a Brinsea Ecoglow20 brooder which like you say will move to the garden as soon as possible! (they will go in a rabbit hutch and we will be able to put the brooder on outside as i have my car in the garage, do you think this would be ok heat wise? if not i can keep them in a spare rrom but it will depend on the level of mess) how long do they normally need heat for? Is it until they get all their real feathers?

I am turning them by hand so will stop on day 18 and will also increase the amount of water in there.
If i knew how to cull them i would probably do that but have never done it before, we have warren x maran in the incubator, are they good eating birds?

kegs

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 17:01 »
They need heat until they're fully feathered and then I switch the heat lamp off first during the day and then at night.  When they're used to being off heat I then put them outside.  Mine are 7 weeks, are now fully feathered and due to go out but are still in the garage because 2 of them kept shivering when I put them out during the day.  The awful weather isn't helping obviously.

Maran are a dual purpose bird but not sure about warren x maran.  Will leave that to someone else to answer.  ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 20:35 »
excellent thanks for that, fingers crossed that hatch now and i resist the urge to candle them  :blink:

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 14:40 »
Try and find a 'dispatch and dress' course in your area if you can. They will teach you all you need to know about getting them oven ready. If you decide not to use the birds for meat you will at least know how to dispatch a bird if it is poorly.

I've only used a brooder once so no expert. I moved those chicks outside during the day from 5 weeks and full time at 7 weeks.  :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 13:59 »
Thanks JaK will look out for that.
Well it is day 14 now and so far it looks like only 1 egg has developed. the little chicke was wriggling like mad when i candeled it the other day. My problem now will be how on earth do i introduce 1 chick to the group when it is old enough (and what is the betting it will be a boy!!)

i may have to buy another when it is aboput 10 weeks old just so there is two of them........thats if it hatches sucessfully

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 18:12 »
If you do end up with just one chick ring your local breeders to get another day old chick for company. A day old chick will cost between £2 and £3 depending on the breed you choose.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 20:28 »
Thanks i will do, i may email them now actually and find out if they have some

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:02 »
Symone,  I know it is exciting to have eggs in an inclubator... but please leave them alone!

Every time you open the incubator you are disturbing the temperature and humidity and possibly introducing infection to the eggs.

The developing embryoes are very fragile, and taking them out of the incubator to candle can kill them.

I recommend candleing only twice during incubation.  On day 10, to remove any infertile eggs, and on day 18 to remove any dead embryoes.

So, for now sit on your hands and leave them alone til hatching day ;)

Good luck :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 18:04 »
Well I have to lift the lid every day, twice, to turn the eggs lol. Never had an issue before but I take your point

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 13:31 »
 :( gutted, just got in to find the incubator has broke, it just isn't working. I have tried different power pack and it appears to be the actual unit. On day 16 as well. I will return the unit and but a better one but the one I have is pretty good.
Not much I can do as the temp by the time I got in was already down to 20 deg.

Update.....just noticed it has blown the main fuse so have switched it back on and it is working again, I know the chances are going to be slim but it has according to the timer been off for about 30 minutes. Is there any chance it could still hatch?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 13:40 by symonep »

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 14:00 »
Switch it on and keep going, only a few day's to go. You may be lucky as it wasn't off for too long. Fingers crossed.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 14:40 »
Will keep my fingers tightly crossed. It is playing up still as the temp keeps dropping, the bloke is sending me a replacement.
Will let you know what happens!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 14:53 »
You might still get the egg to hatch.  Have a read of this recent post.   :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=97523.0
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Eggs for incubator

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:35
by meterman
xx
four day old eggs in incubator

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 11:41
by littlefeat
xx
eggs in incubator

Started by chelle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 20:55
by chicksforkicks
xx
Eggs for Incubator

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:15
by Prod

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 40 queries.