o no my wines tasting metalic

• 2 Replies

sion01

o no my wines tasting metalic
« on: July 09, 2010, 18:26 »
I have a batch of three year old blackcurrant wine and I enjoyed it often.But the last two bottles i opened were disgusting with a strong metalic taste.Never mind i thought the two year old one will be fine ,o no, same result here.Iremembered having a demijon with the same two year old wine in it.I tried this and it was fine.Its just the bottled stuff thats gone manky.Can anybody stop me from wasting alcahol in the future

SG6

Re: o no my wines tasting metalic
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 16:12 »
Often a metallic taste comes from the tannin present, and can take years (5+) to mature out if it ever does.

Think that blackcurrants are high in tannin, elderberries are. Pretty sure that the pips can add a metallic taste, so if crushed these would not help. Wonder if a few bottles could have a piece of crushed pip in them so they have gone off?

Problem is that I would expect it to be in all bottles.

Corks can be a problem, the saying that a wine is corked, may be what you are experiencing. I say may as I have no idea what a corked wine tastes like, suspect stale not metallic.

Corks again, several idea on storing wine, some say on side some upright. Seems to be plusses and minuses either way. Upright allows the cork to dry out and things get in. On side means the cork is damp and wine can react with the cork and things get in. Probably different things however ??? ??? ???

When making it did you use anything metallic for any length of time?
Alcohol = C2H5OH, oxides to Acetic acid = C2H5OOH, the acid eats into anything metallic so contaminates the wine. Thinking of a chipped enamel bowl, bucket, container.

One web site says that a metallic taste can mean you are pregnant.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
Re: o no my wines tasting metalic
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 16:30 »
I made some cider in my youth . Iused a galvinised bath to press the apples in and it stripped the coating off the tin. being none the wiser back then i proceeded to ferment it and when i thought it ready aranged a party. needless to say the party was short lived unlike the rest of us fortunatly. That cider had a distincive metalic taste. :blink: :wacko:

xx
Tea wines

Started by stevenedgar on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 07:23
by stevenedgar
xx
Wines sat on sediment

Started by scabs on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 18:18
by johnnyboy
xx
New Ales and Wines.

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2013, 13:36
by Newportalien
xx
cellar7 wines

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 14:24
by Oakdalebirds1

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.