At long last

• 5 Replies

yorkshirerose

At long last
« on: May 28, 2008, 16:48 »
:D Hubby has got pc sorted again so hellooooo.
My 10 chooks are still alive and kicking - though one of the black rocks is as broody as a chicken can be - she sits on thin air and still I keep pulling her off - any ideas to get her off completely ?
Eggs have been plentiful so baking has been plentiful too.
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
At long last
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 16:51 »
Hi Yorkie, glad you've come back to us!!!!!!   Our chooks have been a bit off lay since the rain started on sunday, but I've got a goldine who has gone broody and keeps the others away from a nest she made on the floor and the others like laying in it too!!!!

Brian just keeps chucking her out into the run, but the next minute she's back again.  I'll have to get him to build her a little broody shed!!!!

Porffor

At long last
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 16:54 »
Hi, I'm new! :) Just wanted to say hello and glad your chooks are well. :)

Have read about fake eggs.. but not sure if this would just pro-long her agony. Poor mummy hen! :lol:

Look forward to reading about your hens. :)

Daisycow

At long last
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 20:21 »
Hi, one of our bantams went broody friday, we have a spare ark, so stuck her in there by herself (shelter food and water). She was not happy, but we were told by the guy we got her from to keep her cool in a separate run if poss. (making sure they can all still see each other)
Anyway after much rosey, squeaking and protesting, 4 days later she is over it and in with the others again.  :)
We have a rough idea of who is gonna lay each day so when they are done we shut off the nest box and let her out with the others for a bit...she is so happy to be out, then after 20 mins or so she suddenly remembers and starts rosey and waiting by the door of the main coop nest area! Not sure if letting her out is right or not, but she'll pace back and forth until she damages her comb on the wire if we're not careful. I'm sure the others tease as well when they are out and she's not!
Also as I understand it, you need to remove all eggs soon as poss as this will encourage the broodiness...thats what we do anyway!  :D

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
At long last
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 00:59 »
Don't quote me but I'm sure I read somewhere that if you have a broody hen and you don't want it(the brood that is-not the hen :lol: ) then you should dunk them in a bucket of cold water and make them stay out all night to cool off :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  It sounds a bit barbaric to me and probably a little foolish as Mr. Fox would probably cure her of her broodyness permanently if you left her out all night. :wink: reading back on what I just wrote looks awful, think I got it wrong somewhere along the line :lol:
Katt

yorkshirerose

At long last
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 21:15 »
Thanks for that - because I dont know if she is eating/drinking , open the pop hole first thing in morning and then close it up and drag miss broody off the nest and put into the large run with the others, whilst I clean and exercise the dogs.
They have water and food both inside and out so by the time I have finished the doggy chores Im sure she has eaten and drank.
Then I let all the girls out of the run and they free range all day.
After my breakfast I open the pop hole and there miss broody runs for the nest.
All eggs are collected asap so she isnt on one for long.
I think I shall leave the dunking of the hen  :lol:  :lol:  and just let her get over it.

xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
how long does it take to get out of the egg?

Started by massa on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 11:11
by maggiem
xx
How long before our first egg?

Started by Gemjt on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 07:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 37 queries.