chick hatching death

• 3 Replies

redspookycooky

chick hatching death
« on: February 19, 2011, 21:50 »
gutted, had my first attempt at hatching from an incubator, out of 7 only 2 made it to the end, one hasn`t hatched and no sign yet, and one piped fri 8pm but after 24 hours it had made no progress at all, so i helped it out but i think i killed it helping it out and maybe it was just too soon :(
humidity was 65-70% and temp perfect but it was like the membrane round the chick was just too tough to get through and it couldn`t manage it.
any ideas what went wrong or was it me helping it out that caused things to go wrong, any advice greatly appreciated :(

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: chick hatching death
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 23:47 »
Awww that is too bad.... I have seen how much you were lookin forward to these chicks :(

Were the ones that didnt hatch pipped.... were they wet ... were they fully formed???

Distressing as it is, it is such a learning curve to crack open any unhatched eggs and see where they failed.

What type of bator are you using and what settings.. where were the eggs from too .... lets start there and see what we can work out.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

redspookycooky

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20 »
hi the other egg was no good when we candled it, after the other chick died, it had a big airsac and it looked like blood had stuck to shell, think that one died at about day 16 (a guess as we candled then and it was moving then).
Incubator is just a polysterene box with humidity gauge, thermometer and fan.
Temp has run at 37-38 all along
humidity 40-45% first 18 days then 65-70% for the last 3 days.
after 24 hours should there have been a improvement in how far it was getting?
it  looked  like his beak was poking through a hole in the membrane and shell but nothing else was happening. When we got him out of the shell is was  abit blooming and he was attached by a blooming string to the egg, was  this a sign it wasn`t ready? :( try and figure what went wrong
Getting some more eggs on tues so want to try and get it right this time :unsure: :(

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 13:09 »
Biggest problem is the incubator.... I started off with one of those and had really shabby hatches in it....    Although they look like they are holding temps and humidity well there is something that just doesnt work,...

Have another go with eggs you know are reliable hatchers so that you can rule out the incubator as causing all  the problems....

It could have been a mix of bator and poor eggs I suppose.. but whenever  I sell my eggs and get told its a polybox of any sort my heart sinks :(

xx
Hatching a chick

Started by Diane on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:48
by Diane
xx
Help with hatching chick

Started by kitkat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 15:05
by kitkat
xx
how long between each chick hatching

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 18:01
by redspookycooky
xx
From the first crack in an egg, To a chick hatching

Started by kizza on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 17:23
by babe

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 35 queries.