shredded paper bedding

• 3 Replies

shredded paper bedding
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:13 »
Hi
I noticed on another thread that someone was using shredded paper as bedding.  Is this ok to do?  As I work in an office I can get all the shredded paper I want!  Also would apprecaite any advice on what breed to get.  I am after something that isn't too easily spooked, doesn't mind being handled and lays well (not too fussy am I :lol: ) I will be putting a pic on soon so you can give me your opionions on the converted shed.... :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
shredded paper bedding
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 16:07 »
Shredded paper should be OK but you may need to change it more frequently as it is no so absorbent as wood chip or straw.

Any of the laying hyprids should be good for you, but as you said in another thread that you are finding it hard to locate some, then you might not need to be too fussy  :wink:

spizanne

shredded paper bedding
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 20:44 »
Hi and welcome, that could have been my post you saw, I use shredded newspaper and because it is so absorbent it does get wet very easily, I only use it in their nestboxes and change it every week which is also when I move the run. If you are putting it all over the shed floor beware, I've kept horses bedded on it and it is really hard work because it get so wet and is very heavy. All the best finding your chooks, I keep warrens (hybrids ) and they are really easy and very friendly and lay lots, I sell enough eggs at work to feed my 5 girls :D

hazelize_uk

shredded paper bedding
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 22:34 »
I use shredded paper from our office as we get sacks full.  Office paper is generally a bit thicker than newspaper so i don't find it gets over wet, but as i set it out nicely with wood shavings and straw in the nest boxes, and then 5 minutes after the girls kick it all over the place! it does get mixed all together!

Have you considered Ex Batts? I know I have no experience of other breeds, but I have found that mine are very happy to be handled and have been laying very well in my newbie opinion  :oops:

We have 15 girls and average between 10-12 eggs everyday, as well as an absolutely amazing feeling of delight watching them develop into 'proper' chickens doing just what 'proper' chickens do!  :D

xx
Shredded paper for bedding?

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:48
by Poolfield2
xx
shredded paper as bedding?

Started by otis pony on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 14:31
by arugula
xx
Bedding... Shredded paper..,

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 14:06
by steelman
xx
Is shredded paper suitable bedding?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 13:50
by Sassy

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 32 queries.