What I did on the plot today 2019

• 143 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
What I did on the plot today 2019
« on: January 01, 2019, 13:33 »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 15:49 »
Cleaned out a few salad plants in th PT that had a bit of fuzzy mould on as I hadn't ventilated much over Christmas. The mild few weeks we've had of late mean that the weeds are starting to pop up.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 22:23 »
Collect the first eggs of 2019.
Chatted with the lasses a bit and then looked at the plot thinking I need to make a start!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aled

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:32 »
Spread a pile of wood ash over the plot, and raked it in.
That's it for now!
Cheers
Aled

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 16:11 »
Well on the 1st I took the compost able waste down to the plot & started to move the compost along a bay filling each bin up as I went, admired the rather large holes & tunnels that had appeared & hoped no furry noses popped out to say hello!! I didn’t get it all done so on the
2nd I went back again & finished digging out bin no 2 into bin no.3 also adding some of the Berkeley pile to bins 1 & 2. I was surprised at how well that had rotted down only some rather big woody bits left visible.
Cooked my lunch on my gas stove & realised that the bar stewards that broke in had taken my tin of extra teas & coffees ( they were probably very out of date so I hope they get tummy aches! Or worse lol).
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beepee

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 17:51 »
Today I covered my pea plants with a fleece.  Frost promised tonight.

However, having received John's newsletter today with a picture of leeks; a couple of days ago I tidied mine up (again). Does anyone else do this or am i stunting them.  I have trimed them 3-4 times a year for the last few years. Never get realy fat leeks but they do ok.

I also start them off in a 10" pot and leave them until ready to plant out - when I trim roots and tops and dib them into well watered holes.

DSCI0066 (2).JPG
Never thow 'it' away. It will come in handy one day, even if it is never useful!!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 18:23 »
Mine was my first trip to the allotment since before Christmas.
Nothing's changed  :lol:
Apart from.some new weed heads in the strawberry bed!  :mad:

So I carried on digging my marked out bit, and marked out the area where I'll put my Munty Frame™

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 13:33 »
Yesterday I cut the grass, pruned the vines and fruit bushes, tidied around berries and raked a bed.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 20:24 »
Today I sowed Solent Wight and Red Duke garlic. I also pruned the fruit trees and put in some stakes around the beds.

chillimummy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 14:06 »
First visit for me also since well before Christmas  ;)
Things not looking too bad. Took builders sack of bark chippings and spread over my new patio area  :D
In front of my lovely plum tree is area that I can't really grow anything on and difficult to weed too due to tree roots.
Mostly levelled it off! Spread weed fabric over it, dotted freecycle paving slabs around and started filling gaps between slabs with chippings. Need another couple of bags to finish.
Have plastic bench already and will take deck chair down in spring to sit and admire plot.
Really pleased as looks really good  :)
Topped up some of the paths with chippings also.
Few brassicas to dig up and odd patches to weed but all in all, plot looks good. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Christine

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 14:16 »
I didn't due to a cracked fibula on one leg but "the junior team" dug out the brussels which were past their best, lifted themselves some parsnips, took some apples and then with the help of one of their friends and his gardening gear lowered and shredded the rest of the hedges on plot number 2.

It's now possible to manage most of the hedges round 2 allotments with a lot more ease!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 17:07 »
Quick plot check to see what jobs I need to do next week, nabbed a cabbage for tea tonight. Was going to have a celeriac too but the slugs have gone to work on them :(

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 19:14 »
I got some well rotted manure from the local stable and put it over a bed. I was a little short though so another trip planned soon.

I also put some compost on the bed but I'm a little concerned as it may not be quite decomposed enough  :unsure:

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59 »
Had a walk down yesterday, carried on digging soil in a raised bed,removing weeds & roots from it and breaking it up nice and fine. Will carry on doing that this afternoon i think. Pulled some leeks this morning.

Missey

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 14:07 »
Dug over and add some well rotten manure ready to plant my garlic soon - was like a spring morning here & soil was lovely to turn - getting itching fingers 😂

Then moved down the plot to an area that’s not been dug in years, we removed 3 huge lavender plants in the autumn they were very woody and had seen better days but the couch roots in that area are awful so when we removed the lavenders we roughly dug it over and cleared - so repeated with another rough dig & clear today - always amazes me how many thick couch grass roots come up - think 1-2 more turn overs and I may start to win.

Missey

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2024, 19:19
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 56 queries.