Brick bread oven plans

• 52 Replies

grafted

Re: Brick bread oven plans
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54 »
Snoop - I wondered if causing fires were a consideration for you I have friends who live in Catalunya and this is the case there. I took a couple of pics last night to try and my show oven working - but it was too light to show flames coming out of the oven front during heating up, you can just see smoke while cooking.
As I say although flames do come out of the oven front I've never had live cinders and as you can see I have a temporary roof, (been there 2 years), made of some scrap ply and wood which doesn't burn plus the oven is right against a fence but as the oven is insulated no heat radiates from anywhere except the oven.
Oven smoke 15 May 10.jpg
Oven 15 May 10.jpg

Snoop

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 12:32 »
Hi grafted, that is an absolute beauty of an oven. I'll definitely get the book and have a look. And yes, forest fires are a big concern. We live quite close to Horta de Sant Joan, in Catalonia, where five forest firefighters died last year. It was also the worst year for fires in this part of Aragon. Our valley filled with smoke and ash fell on my tomato plants, good for the potash I presume but a bit alarming nevertheless.

cannyfradock

• Wood+Pizza-oven UK Forum
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 14:55 »
Hello Grafted

That looks like a beautiful wood burning oven that you have build, but I can't see any incorperated vent, inbetween the dome and your entrance arch. In the UK the natural draw of a wood-oven, once up to temperature, will reduce the risk of live embers exiting the oven, but in the case of "Snoop" a vent MUST be incorperated within the build, with a spark de-fuser built into the chimney.

Terry  (C.F)
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Snoop

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 15:24 »
HIn the UK the natural draw of a wood-oven, once up to temperature, will reduce the risk of live embers exiting the oven, but in the case of "Snoop" a vent MUST be incorperated within the build, with a spark de-fuser built into the chimney.
Terry  (C.F)

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the message. Just this morning we've been looking at the Aragonese government leaflet on preventing forest fires and discussing 'matachispas'. Now I know what it's called in English!

cannyfradock

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 17:41 »
Snoop

I have found these interesting threads from the FB site that may be of use to you.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/location-oven-fire-safety-8235.html?highlight=spark+arrestor

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/chimney-question-fire-hazard-3559.html?highlight=spark+arrestor

All the best with your build.........Terry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 18:58 by Aunt Sally »

Snoop

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 07:36 »
Thanks Terry. The oven is probably a project for next year (haven't even got the main house sorted yet), but will bear all this in mind.

cannyfradock

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 20:54 »
Snoop

If you are still considering building a wood-fired oven next year, I invite you to come and say hello to us. We are a group of wood-fired oven enthusiasts who share info on where to source materials and also share our builds. We had 15 builds this year many with full photo diary from start to finish with plenty of questions and advice given by the gang.

We are not commercial....just an info/interactive site for wood-fired oven building enthusiasts.

You can find us here.... http://woodovenukforum.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=woodovenukforum

All the best.....Terry

Please note that John has okd the link  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 20:58 by mumofstig »

EddieJ

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 21:56 »
Thanks for the link Terry. :)

If I can find the time, one of ever growing lists of projects for next year is to build a very elaborate pizza and bread oven into rear/side of this gazebo that I made a couple of years ago. 

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 23:53 »
If he needs plans, then he aint a builder . . .   I'm going to build a bread / pizza oven from ideas I have from Greece and using a collection of night storage heater blocks I have accumulated.  Been a while in the old brainbox, but I recon I can do it,  keep in touch.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55 »
Thanks for the link Terry. :)

If I can find the time, one of ever growing lists of projects for next year is to build a very elaborate pizza and bread oven into rear/side of this gazebo that I made a couple of years ago. 

Thats a really lovely gazebo :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

elibump

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 10:48 »
Did you get your pizza oven yet Ice? :unsure:

Sort of wish I hadnt found this thread - I want .....................................

::)

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 11:05 »

Bigger than my house and probably cost more to build Jamie ;)

elibump

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 11:23 »

Bigger than my house and probably cost more to build Jamie ;)

I was thinking that as well AS ;)

Eli xx

cannyfradock

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24 »
Eddie.......Indeed a beautiful gazebo. Just remember to have a good idea of the exact dimensions of the interior of the oven and the finished result, before you start building the walls to your oven. There's plenty of pics out there to give you some idea's before you start. Here's a couple of finished ovens from Rado Hand's Australian site.....

...   http://www.traditionaloven.com/ovens.html

Tony....Some people have put down the idea of using storage heater bricks as they draw the heat in to them as opposed to reflecting the heat back out, but all the people I have spoken to who have used storage fire-bricks have said they work fine and fire-up times and oven heat retention value's (for bread baking) are virtually the same as using the 42% alumina fire-bricks.

All the best with your build's........Terry

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54 »
we have some old storage heaters so when we remove them from the house I will have to keep this idea in mind - many thanks  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Building a Brick Oven.

Started by Bodger on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 10:41
by Bodger
xx
Greenhouse brick base

Started by dexyblue on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 16:15
by Lee1978
xx
Restoring brick paving to garden

Started by Bobbo on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 20:11
by Bobbo
xx
Brackets to hold greenhouse down .. brick dwarf wall not quite right

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 06:30
by Sideshoot

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.